Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nVidia driver unable to install

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vladalex40

vladalex40

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:47 AM

Hi everyone!

So, while I was playing farcry I noticed that the game was running very slow and immediately I checked device manager. I noticed that my nvidia geforce 750M card had a yellow exclamation point and the description tab was showing me 'The device is not working' or something like that so I uninstalled the driver. After that I downloaded the right driver from the nvidia website but when I want to unzip the .rar file it keeps showing me errors so now I don't know what to do. I tried even with Geforce Experience software but I cannot install it either. So now my laptop is running only with intel graphic card.

Sorry for my english and thanks!

Edited by vladalex40, 02 December 2016 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

Nvidia drivers never come in rar format as far as I know. You didn't say what OS you have. I am assuming it is Windows 7 64bit. 

Here is your driver 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/111822/en-us

If your OS is not Windows 7 64bit search for your drivers using the dropdown boxes in the below link.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Your English is fine.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#3 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hi,thanks for your reply. I downloaded the driver from the website you provided (I have windows 10 64 bit) and now when I open the file I click ok and it gives me the error  '7-zip:data error' . (my laptop is ASUS N550)

Edited by vladalex40, 02 December 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

This is the driver you downloaded? I am not sure why you get this error. Is 7zip installed on your computer. Have you tried installing the driver in safe mode?

#5 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

I tried to install the driver in safe mode but I get the same error. I don't even have the 7zip installed on my computer.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

See this Nvidia support article on the problem. Nvidia must be using a 7zip self extractor for the driver.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2872/~/7-zip%3A-data-error-while-installing-nvidia-drivers

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#7 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:01 AM

So, I downloaded the driver on another computer and transfered it to my laptop and now it works but it gives me another error 'This graphic driver could not find compatible graphics hardware'

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:14 AM

In Device Manager is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your display adapters? Is Nvidia listed? The N550 should have two letters for a suffix. Can you give the full model number?

#9 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

The full model number is N550JV. There was a yellow exclamation mark but I uninstalled the nvidia driver because I wanted to install a new driver. In Device Manager there is now only Intel HD Graphics 4600.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

The driver will not install if the nvidia card is not in Device Manager. Click the top part of the Device Manager tree, your PC, and select Action > Scan for Hardware changes. Does the nvidia get detected? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#11 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:47 AM

No, still only Intel HD Graphics :(

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

Have you tried rebooting the computer? It's possible the Nvidia chipset has failed.

Do you have a restore point just before the problem? 

See this thread and the solution by turkishpower. Both drivers need to be uninstalled and then a change in BIOS. I would avoid flashing the BIOS unless absolutely necessary as this will brick the computer if the flash goes bad.

According to ASUS your model does not have video drivers for Windows 10. Supposedly they are supplied by Microsoft. You should still be able to install the intel and nvidia drivers.

Windows 10 driver for intel 4600

#13 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:01 AM

Hey!

Rebooting the computer did not solve my problem. Unfortunately I haven't a restore point before the problem. I followed solution provided by turkishpower user but after a couple of minutes the intel driver install itself and still not able to install nvidia, I get the same error.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Did you also change the setting in BIOS?

I think the problem may be hardware related. The nvidia chip itself has failed. I think the only other option would be a clean install of the OS after backing up your data but that would be a last restore because after the clean install you still may not have the nvidia detected.

#15 vladalex40

vladalex40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:39 AM

I'll try asking help from nvidia customer care too. If they can't help me I'll try installing my windows again. Thank you for your support !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users