Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help To Speed Up Pc!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WJACK459

WJACK459

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

I ALREADY POSTED IN THE OTHER SECTION AND GOT HELP FROM OLDTIMER AND WAS TOLD TO POST HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT TAKING ALL MY RESOURCE.

I TRY TO RUN DISK DEFRAMING BUT WAS TOLD THAT I DIDNT HAVE OVER 2% TO RUN IT, I ALSO DELETED THE ITEMS THAT "OLDTIMER" TOLD ME TO DELETE. I DONT KNOW IF AM SUPPOSE TO POST A HIJACKTHIS BUT HERE ONE ==ANYWAY (SORRY -IF AM DOING THIS WRONG :thumbsup: )

(Moderator edit: since OT has reviewed a HJT log earlier, I have deleted it in the body of this post. jgweed)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP

Edited by jgweed, 28 August 2006 - 02:45 PM.

the "TENDERHEART"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

Your post is a bit confusing. Please post the size of your hardrive and the amount of free space.

Install and run Ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
You have WinPatrol and it is a good program for controlling other programs that you don't need to run at startup. Use it to block programs such as Adobe and Excel. If you need them they will start manually.
Consider ditching Symantec products as they are known to use a lot of resources.
Consider, also, installing Firefox browser.
Below is a link to freeware replacements for common commercial Apps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:01 AM

Please don't post in ALL CAPS - it's the equivalent of yelling on the forums, and it's very hard to read.

As for the processes, I agree with buddy215 - ditch the Norton.

Also, you should have about 15% free space on your hard drive - on a 100 gB hard drive this is 15 gB - so I'd suggest moving some of them to CD's or another drive before it stops working for you.

Also, how much RAM and what sort of processor do you have? If you don't know, what's the exact make and model of your system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 WJACK459

WJACK459
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

thank you very much for what you have done for me so far. i deleted a lot of mpg and files that my loving teens - had on the pc. now i have over 75% free space. i posted the information that you say that i didnt post.

"processor"

933 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

"drive"

40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
29.46 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Lite-On LTN486 48x Max [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST340014A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5JXL6XF3, rev 8.01

memory ==== 384

my next question. since am on free space===== does it slow your pc down? sorry if am not wording or saying things right :thumbsup:
the "TENDERHEART"

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

Now that you have some free space on your hard drive, it is now time to run scandisk (or checkdisk for XP) and then defragment your hard drive. Having a large amount of free space will not directly effect your computer's preformance except insofar as there is less software gunking up the hard drive. Defragging your hard drive now, will put the bits and pieces of your programmes and applications closer together, which WILL improve performance since the read arm has less travelling to do.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 28 August 2006 - 02:51 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:37 PM

A lot of your resource problems are caused by the age of your system. A PIII processor with 384 mB of RAM just won't run as fast as current systems do.

That being said, you could be in worse shape - many computers with XP only come with 128 or 256 mB of RAM. But, I'd recommend at least 512 mB for it to run acceptably.

You can run with less, and still get acceptable performance - but you'll have to spend a lot of time tuning your system and ensuring that the resources aren't being sapped.

Next, you can do 2 things to conserve resources:
1) Eliminate unneeded startup items
2) Disable unneeded services.

Please let us know if you're going to get the extra RAM or not - then we can move on to trimming the startups and services. (extra RAM may eliminate the need for trimming).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 WJACK459

WJACK459
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:53 AM

thank you again for all your help with my pc i did a lot cleaning up!!!!! :thumbsup:
i got rid of "norton internet security" but some files are still on my pc :flowers:

Mod Edit: Per a review by Old Timer the HJT Log has been edited out of this post. The log is considered clean. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 September 2006 - 06:56 PM.

the "TENDERHEART"

#8 WJACK459

WJACK459
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:58 AM

one more thing i really want to hold on to this pc. my question is : do i need more ram? if i change it from 384 to 512?

please let me know if you need more information :thumbsup:
the "TENDERHEART"

#9 WJACK459

WJACK459
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

sorry i see in your last post that i needed more ram :thumbsup:
the "TENDERHEART"

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:29 AM

You probably have 512mb of ram but some is probably taken by shared ram used by your video adapter.

Download Everest V 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions. It will give you all your system specs.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

The next thing to do is to follow the "Slow Computer Checklist" which should help speed up your computer to its capacity for speed.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Also - make sure your page file is set to be 1 and 1/2 times the amount of ram installed (that Everest shows installed)

Optimize the Page File
"Virtual Memory is the space on the hard disk Windows uses as RAM. The Page File (Pagefile.sys) serves as temporary, virtual memory storage for code and data." - Source

Instructions - Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change". Change the values to:

- Initial size (MB): 1.5 x the amount of RAM in your system
- Maximum size (MB): 3.0 x the amount of RAM in your system

Then select "Set" and "OK" and reboot.

Windows XP by default is set to use only a Dynamic Page File that can resize during normal system operation, consuming resources and causing file fragmentation. A properly configured Page File will not resize (increase) so long as the Initial size is set large enough. Allowing the Page File to resize for rare unforeseen memory intensive situations will prevent "Out of Memory" error messages from occurring. Any resizing will reset to the default Initial size upon reboot and will not cause any permanent fragmentation of the Page File.

If you experience frequent resizing of the Page File, a permanent solution is to add more RAM to your system. It is a good idea to have at least 1 GB to 2 GB of RAM in a PC today. A simple test to determine if you need more RAM is to use you PC for a whole day without rebooting, then look at the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete), Performance tab. If the "Commit Charge - Peak" is ever higher then the "Physical Memory - Total" your system could benefit from adding more RAM. When you change the amount of RAM in your system, you have to adjust the Page File size too.

Also - for maximum configuration:
How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:01 AM

With RAM the old adage "some is good, but more is better" generally holds true.

You'll see an increase in performance if you upgrade to 512 mB. Past that, there'll still be an increase, but it won't be as visible.

I routinely advise folks to get 1 gB of RAM. The reason for this is that, with 1 gB, you won't have to constantly monitor what's running on your system (as you would with 512 mB or less).

#12 percypape

percypape

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

Awesome topic- very helpful.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:27 AM

Here's a very interseting discussion of the pagefile: http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users