I have only one computer, and yet, I want to be able to run some programs in Windows 7…and some in Windows XP.
To solve this problem, I used EasyBCD to set up my computer so that following the (optional) BIOS screen, a Windows Boot Manager screen appears, allowing me to choose whether I want to boot into Windows 7 or Windows XP.
Now, here’s my question: I would like to transfer an image of my C: drive to a new SSD and keep my dual-boot setup.
I realize there are many sets of instructions on the Internet on how to copy a C: drive (and Operating System) to a new HDD (or SSD), where a computer uses a single Operating System.
However, as my rig is a dual-boot system, are there any additional steps I need to take to keep the dual-boot setup when transferring my Operating System (and other C: drive files) to the new SSD?
As I’m even less tech-savvy than I probably appear , I would very much appreciate step-by-step instructions.
Please note: Setting up my system, I partitioned a single SSD into logical drive C: (containing Windows 7 OS) and logical drive D: (containing Windows XP OS).
(Also, while it might be nice if I had the extra money and the extra space, please don’t suggest I buy a second computer …and please don’t suggest I use Compatibility Mode, as I have tried Compatibility Mode and it just doesn’t work well for me.)
Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.
Here’s a break-down of my system:
- Dual-boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 1);
- Asus DDR3 2400 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard P9X79-E WS;
- Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73820;
- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler;
- 4 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9;
- Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB SATA III 6Gb 2.5inch SSD;
- Crucial M550 1TB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT1024M550SSD1;
- Crucial M500 480GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT480M500SSD1;
- MSI RX480 8GB GDDR5 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI graphics card;
- Seasonic PRIME 850 Titanium (SSR-850TD Active PFC F3) power supply;
- Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW;
- CyberPower 1285AVR, 1285VA/750W (UPS)
Note: My C: drive is currently stored on the Crucial M500 480GB SSD, and I would like to transfer it to the new Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor—and keep my dual-boot setup.