Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Transfer DUAL-Boot Setup to New SSD?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

Hello,

I have only one computer, and yet, I want to be able to run some programs in Windows 7…and some in Windows XP.

To solve this problem, I used EasyBCD to set up my computer so that following the (optional) BIOS screen, a Windows Boot Manager screen appears, allowing me to choose whether I want to boot into Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Now, here’s my question: I would like to transfer an image of my C: drive to a new SSD and keep my dual-boot setup.

I realize there are many sets of instructions on the Internet on how to copy a C: drive (and Operating System) to a new HDD (or SSD), where a computer uses a single Operating System.

However, as my rig is a dual-boot system, are there any additional steps I need to take to keep the dual-boot setup when transferring my Operating System (and other C: drive files) to the new SSD?

As I’m even less tech-savvy than I probably appear  :lol: , I would very much appreciate step-by-step instructions. :)

Please note: Setting up my system, I partitioned a single SSD into logical drive C: (containing Windows 7 OS) and logical drive D: (containing Windows XP OS).

(Also, while it might be nice if I had the extra money and the extra space, please don’t suggest I buy a second computer :) …and please don’t suggest I use Compatibility Mode, as I have tried Compatibility Mode and it just doesn’t work well for me.)

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Here’s a break-down of my system:

- Dual-boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 1);

- Asus DDR3 2400 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard P9X79-E WS;

- Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73820;

- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler;

- 4 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9;

- Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB SATA III 6Gb 2.5inch SSD;

- Crucial M550 1TB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT1024M550SSD1;

- Crucial M500 480GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT480M500SSD1;

- MSI RX480 8GB GDDR5 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI graphics card;

- Seasonic PRIME 850 Titanium (SSR-850TD Active PFC F3) power supply;

- Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW;

- CyberPower 1285AVR, 1285VA/750W (UPS)

Note: My C: drive is currently stored on the Crucial M500 480GB SSD, and I would like to transfer it to the new Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor—and keep my dual-boot setup. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

A cloning program should do what you need. I use Acronis True Image. It will do an exact copy of the original drive to the new drive, including partitions and everything. It can use either "automatic mode", where it will automatically resize all partitions based upon the new drive size while keeping the relative proportions (i.e. if each partition takes up half the drive on the old drive, then they will also take up half the drive on the new drive), or I believe you can choose the size manually (I have never done this myself as I am usually only cloning drives with one partition).

#3 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

A cloning program should do what you need. I use Acronis True Image. It will do an exact copy of the original drive to the new drive, including partitions and everything. It can use either "automatic mode", where it will automatically resize all partitions based upon the new drive size while keeping the relative proportions (i.e. if each partition takes up half the drive on the old drive, then they will also take up half the drive on the new drive), or I believe you can choose the size manually (I have never done this myself as I am usually only cloning drives with one partition).

Thanks for your help. :)

As I would like to keep the current Crucial SSD in my system (as drive D: instead of its current C: drive status), do I simply reconnect it after unplugging it and rebooting the computer? ...And do I simply reconnect it to the same port it was originally connected to...or do I need to connect it to a different port so that it doesn't reappear as drive C:?  :grinner:

Edited by Stereoeggs, 02 December 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

As I would like to keep the current Crucial SSD in my system (as drive D: instead of its current C: drive status), do I simply reconnect it after unplugging it and rebooting the computer? ...And do I simply reconnect it to the same port it was originally connected to...or do I need to connect it to a different port so that it doesn't reappear as drive C:?  :grinner:

What is your ultimate intent/use for the old drive? Are you going to leave as is? Or are you going to reformat it? And if you do reformat it, do plan to try to do so before you hook it up as a second internal drive?

If you just put the drive back in the computer without reformatting it before putting it back in as an internal drive whether you plan on reformatting it or not, then it will compete for being the boot drive. This is because you will have two bootable drives installed. I am not completely sure how your motherboard will sort that out. It could "remember" the old drive as the boot drive and then boot from it OR it might use the SATA port order to pick which drive to use as the boot drive. I am not sure because 1) I don't know if different motherboards behave differently and 2) even if they do not, how default SATA hard drive/SSD order is selected typically. 1) is because I have only use one custom/built board myself and 2) is because I never had multiple drives in my computer that just used the unaltered boot order of SATA hard drives/SSDs of the motherboard...I messed with the normal boot order in the BIOS from day one.

Ultimately, it should be a moot point as if you hook up both drives internally as is, then you should be able to boot into the BIOS to then set the boot order of the SSDs that you want. So, after completing the clone, just boot to the BIOS and go to where you select boot order and re-order the drives to what you want. From then on, it should boot using the first SSD in that order unless there is something wrong with that drive.

If you need something more exact, then I will have to look up a manual for your motherboard to see what the BIOS looks like.

As to the cloning, if you use True Image (should be similar for other cloning programs), once you have the two drives installed (the old drive and the new blank drive), you then boot from the True Image optical disc that you get if you buy the version that ships you a disc (if you buy the download version, I believe it lets you burn an optical disc...I have always bought the physical media disc). From there, the cloning option should be under Tools > Clone disk. Here are step by step instructions for doing it in True Image:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/56634

If you do buy the downloaded version, then here are the instructions for creating the bootable media:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/56610

If you choose a different cloning program and need specific instructions, then someone else might need to help you as I have only used True Image myself, but I might be able to find specific instructions if you tell me which program you want to use.

#5 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

What is your ultimate intent/use for the old drive? Are you going to leave as is? Or are you going to reformat it? And if you do reformat it, do plan to try to do so before you hook it up as a second internal drive?

If you just put the drive back in the computer without reformatting it before putting it back in as an internal drive whether you plan on reformatting it or not, then it will compete for being the boot drive. This is because you will have two bootable drives installed. I am not completely sure how your motherboard will sort that out. It could "remember" the old drive as the boot drive and then boot from it OR it might use the SATA port order to pick which drive to use as the boot drive. I am not sure because 1) I don't know if different motherboards behave differently and 2) even if they do not, how default SATA hard drive/SSD order is selected typically. 1) is because I have only use one custom/built board myself and 2) is because I never had multiple drives in my computer that just used the unaltered boot order of SATA hard drives/SSDs of the motherboard...I messed with the normal boot order in the BIOS from day one.

Ultimately, it should be a moot point as if you hook up both drives internally as is, then you should be able to boot into the BIOS to then set the boot order of the SSDs that you want. So, after completing the clone, just boot to the BIOS and go to where you select boot order and re-order the drives to what you want. From then on, it should boot using the first SSD in that order unless there is something wrong with that drive.

If you need something more exact, then I will have to look up a manual for your motherboard to see what the BIOS looks like.

As to the cloning, if you use True Image (should be similar for other cloning programs), once you have the two drives installed (the old drive and the new blank drive), you then boot from the True Image optical disc that you get if you buy the version that ships you a disc (if you buy the download version, I believe it lets you burn an optical disc...I have always bought the physical media disc). From there, the cloning option should be under Tools > Clone disk. Here are step by step instructions for doing it in True Image:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/56634

If you do buy the downloaded version, then here are the instructions for creating the bootable media:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/56610

If you choose a different cloning program and need specific instructions, then someone else might need to help you as I have only used True Image myself, but I might be able to find specific instructions if you tell me which program you want to use.

Hey, thank you so Very Much for taking the time to help me with this in more detail! 

I'm planning on reformatting the old drive and simply using it for storage. So, with the additional information you have provided (including the links), I should be good to go. :)

Edited by Stereoeggs, 02 December 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

Hey, thank you so Very Much for taking the time to help me with this in more detail! 

I'm planning on reformatting the old drive and simply using it for storage. So, with the additional information you have provided (including the links), I should be good to go. :)

If you have a way to hook the drive up externally (i.e. external USB enclosure that will work with the SSD or a universal USB adapter...aka something like this https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U3NVSPATA/), then you can format the drive as an external drive, which will ease the boot process. Once reformatted, then you can install it internally again.

#7 Stereoeggs

Stereoeggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:20 PM

If you have a way to hook the drive up externally (i.e. external USB enclosure that will work with the SSD or a universal USB adapter...aka something like this https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U3NVSPATA/), then you can format the drive as an external drive, which will ease the boot process. Once reformatted, then you can install it internally again.

Thanks for the additional information. :)

Um...I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "ease the boot process." I have 3 SSDs and 2 external HDDs, and I haven't noticed any drag in booting...or at least, I'm very happy with the speed at which my computer boots up. ...Am I missing something?  :grinner:

Edited by Stereoeggs, 02 December 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

I was talking about the possible boot drive confusion that I had mentioned in the earlier post. By formatting the old drive externally, there will be no boot order issues when it is installed internally.

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

I used Clonezilla for this; took full image of multiple partitions (dual boot) to an external, restore image to Samsung SSD, no issues....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users