Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanTycoon

DanTycoon

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

As the title and desc. say, sometimes (all the time when exiting anything lower than 800 by 600 resolution) when I exit a game that is set to use a resolution that's lower than 800 x 600, all that shows is a black screen, and the cursor. I know the computer isn't busy doing anything, because if I move my mouse where the taskbar should be, it turns into the up/down cursor. I can't do CTRL+ALT+DEL because no windows show at all, even the Task Manager. The only thing I can do is shut down the computer by holding the power button. I can't remember if just pushing it works.

I have all the latest drivers...I think. I'll check after I post this. I'll post a DxDiag, just in case anyone needs it. I'll post it as a link, no need to clutter this thread. DxDiag file. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:04 AM

The black screen is happening because Windows is having a hard time determining your video mode and is probably trying to change your display settings. If you are turning it off with the power button, then the settings are never being saved properly. How are you going into that video mode?

#3 DanTycoon

DanTycoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:35 AM

Playing games. My graphics card isn't the best, so I have to use low resolutions in order to play the game acceptably. It usually defaults to 800 x 600. Doom 3 seems to be the only game so far that has a problem exiting 800 x 600. I played Unreal Tournament 2004 on 640 x 480 and it would do the black screen after exiting. I have since changed it to 800 x 600, and UT2004 exits fine now. And I think it's worth mentioning that my desktop resolution is 1280 x 1024 but I think I can lower it if that's the problem.

#4 DanTycoon

DanTycoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

Can someone help me? Or at least give me an explaination on how to fix the windows thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users