Hi. I just finished a fresh factory restore on my son’s laptop and have a big problem with Windows Update (from my research, I can see that I’m not alone on this one). Everything was going along well as I was updating. I stopped to do something else, then went back to updating when this message showed it’s ugly head:
“To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows update. Your automatic updating settings will not change.” I clicked “Install now” and next is when the problem started—“Checking for updates” sits there for hours with no updates. No error codes.
Below I’m listing what I’ve tried so far (with no success whatsoever):
1. Checked and most recent update was Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 on 11.29.16--successful
2. Completed manual “Resetting the entire Windows Update Componet” per:
3. Completed “Windows Vista will not update-No Errors-Appears to be in a loop per: www.answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/windows-vista-will-not-update-no-errors-appears-to/3318c1fb-62e4-44f2-95ab-19ef48398091?auth=1 Successful
4. “Fix Windows Update errors by using DISM or System Update Readiness Tool” per:
Hung on “Searching for updates”
5. Windows 6.0-KB3145739-x86.msu
Hung on”Searching for updates”
My first couple of questions are: Does anyone out there have a definitive and final solution to this? and Would someone please help me get through this? I’m moderately pc savvy, but by no means a guru, so please don’t get too technical. I CAN follow instructions pretty well though.
HP Pavilion dv6000 2.0GHz 2.0GB RAM
Self made restore disk set from HP Recovery Disk Creation program
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit
Avast Free A/V