Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update hangs at "Checking for updates"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 empty_pockets

empty_pockets

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi.  I just finished a fresh factory restore on my son’s laptop and have a big problem with Windows Update (from my research, I can see that I’m not alone on this one).  Everything was going along well as I was updating.  I stopped to do something else, then went back to updating when this message showed it’s ugly head:

“To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows update.  Your automatic updating settings will not change.”  I clicked “Install now” and next is when the problem started—“Checking for updates” sits there for hours with no updates.  No error codes.

Below I’m listing what I’ve tried so far (with no success whatsoever):

1.  Checked and most recent update was Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 on 11.29.16--successful

2.  Completed manual “Resetting the entire Windows Update Componet” per:

www.answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/windowsvista-updates-are-not-downloading-to-system/1416dc8d-1bad-4367-900c-6a07d3fda6e5?auth=1 Successful

3.  Completed “Windows Vista will not update-No Errors-Appears to be in a loop per:  www.answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/windows-vista-will-not-update-no-errors-appears-to/3318c1fb-62e4-44f2-95ab-19ef48398091?auth=1 Successful

4.  “Fix Windows Update errors by using DISM or System Update Readiness Tool” per:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Hung on “Searching for updates”

5.  Windows 6.0-KB3145739-x86.msu

Hung on”Searching for updates”

My first couple of questions are:  Does anyone out there have a definitive and final solution to this? and Would someone please help me get through this?  I’m moderately pc savvy, but by no means a guru, so please don’t get too technical.  I CAN follow instructions pretty well though.

HP Pavilion dv6000 2.0GHz 2.0GB RAM

Self made restore disk set from HP Recovery Disk Creation program

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32 bit

Avast Free A/V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

Hi empty-pockets:

Can you confirm that Windows Update was able to install Service Pack 2 (SP2)?  If you aren't sure go to Start | Run... and type in the command "winver" (without the quotes).

There is no "definitive and final answer" to this problem, but if SP2 is currently installed please see the step-by-step instructions posted on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.  As of 08-Nov-2016, there are currently six Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) updates that need to be installed to speed up Windows Update on a Vista SP2 machine: KB3078601 (rel. 18-Aug-2015); KB3109094 (rel. 07-Dec-2015); KB3185911 (rel. 13-Sep-2016); KB3191203 (rel. 11-Oct-2016); KB3198234 (rel. 08-Nov-2016); KB3203859 (rel. 08-Nov-2016).  Those instructions note that this is not a permanent fix for the slow Windows Updates, and the above list of Win32K.sys updates is only valid until the December 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are released on 13-Dec-2016.

And "speed up" is a relative term.  Your son's laptop only has 2 GB of RAM and the Vista OS is likely several years out-of-date, so I would expect the manual Windows Update (STEP # 6 of the instructions) to take a minimum of 9 hours.  I would suggest you let Windows Update run overnight once all your missing Win32K.sys speed up patches are installed to see if the initial "Checking for updates..." phase is able to run to completion.

1.  Checked and most recent update was Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256 on 11.29.16--successful

Just FYI, the latest Windows Update Agent (WUA) for Vista SP2 (C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll) is v7.6.7600.256.  The bad news is that this WUA has not been updated by Microsoft since June 2012, and this outdated WUA appears to be one of the main causes of the slow Windows Updates.

5.  Windows 6.0-KB3145739-x86.msu

Hung on”Searching for updates”

KB3145739 (MS16-039: Description of the security update for Windows Graphics Component: April 12, 2016) was dropped from the list of required speed up patches in October 2016 [it has been supersceded (replaced) by the newer KB3191203].  Note 5 of the step-by-step instructions in m#l's thread in the MS Answers forum includes some hints on how to terminate any Windows Update sessions running in the background to prevent your .msu installers from getting stuck at "Checking for updates..."

--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.0.2 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 02 December 2016 - 12:16 AM.

#3 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

lmacri, first of all, let me give you a big thanks.  I installed the 6 KB's per the link you provided without any glitches, hiccups, etc., rebooted, then checked for updates and, lo and behold, it took only about an hour to find 197 updates.  I downloaded/installed those, rebooted, and checked WU again.  It did its thing, but didn't find any new ones.

This a.m. I thought I'd give it another whirl just to see if things were still good.  It found another 27 optional updates so I downloaded/installed those as well.

Just another couple of questions:  What kind of hoops am I gonna have to jump through when new updates are ready a couple of weeks from now?  

Also, how do I mark this thread "SOLVED"?  Others may find that this may cure their headaches too if they use this link.

Once again, thank you for your help.  You're a true pc guru in my book. 

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

What kind of hoops am I gonna have to jump through when new updates are ready a couple of weeks from now?

Hi empty_pockets:

Glad to hear Windows Update was able to install your missing updates. All credit goes to Dalai, the author of the original solution at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, who discovered that pre-installing the Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update would speed up Windows Update on Patch Tuesdays.  Kudos also go to Woody Leonhard for posting about Dalai's workaround in several of his Woody on Windows blog entries at InfoWorld.

Each Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) Dalai revises his webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ and adds the KB number of the new Win32K.sys update that will "most likely" speed up Windows Update for Vista SP2.  As of October 2016 Dalai can't test his recommended speed up patch(es) on his Win 7 SP1 machine (Microsoft is now bundling all Patch Tuesday security updates for Win 7 as one large Monthly Rollup - see Michael Niehaus' 07-Oct-2016 MS TechNet blog More on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 servicing changes) so once I've had a chance to test Dalai's recommended speed up patch(es) on my own Vista SP2 machine I revise my step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours.  The December 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are due for release on 13-Dec-2016 and I will likely wait a day or two to review feedback from other early testers before I update those instructions.

This a.m. I thought I'd give it another whirl just to see if things were still good.  It found another 27 optional updates so I downloaded/installed those as well.

One word of caution about optional updates and the Microsoft .NET Framework.  In October 2016 Microsoft also began releasing Monthly Rollups for the .NET Framework for all supported Windows operating systems, including Vista SP2 (see the MSDN article Introducing the .NET Framework Monthly Rollup) and these rollups are close to 100 MB in size.  Microsoft typically releases optional "Preview" versions of their rollups on the third Tuesday of the month (KB3195382 was the November 2016 Preview of Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 4.5.2, 4.6 on Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2: November 15, 2016] and these Previews are essentially beta test versions for system administrators to provide telemetry to Microsoft on how the "stable" Monthly Rollups will behave when they are officially released on Patch Tuesday.

Woody Leonhard generally recommends that users should not install any optional updates marked as "Preview" per his 16-Nov-2016 InfoWorld blog entry Users should avoid Microsoft's newly released preview Windows patches.

Also, how do I mark this thread "SOLVED"?

Good question.  I've read the Welcome Guide for the BleepingComputer forum and don't believe there's any way for the OP to mark their thread as "Solved".  It's a useful feature I'd also like to see added to the forum software.
--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.0.2 * NIS v22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 03 December 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

Threads on BC are not marked 'Solved' and they are normally not closed either. The most common reason for closing topics is to avoid duplication. As an example someone starts a topic in an OS section and it is then agreed that the problem is malware. The OS topic would usually then be closed while one was raised in say 'Am I infected?'.

There would be some advantages to closing solved topics - it would prevent 'resurrectionists' (google 'Burke and Hare') coming along years later and posting into long resolved topics, but - I don't set policy !  It would create a lot of work for the Mods though !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the useful info.  I appreciate it.

#7 mofuddle

mofuddle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

I am so glad to find others had had this problem . . . AND that someone else had researched and found a workaround !  Thank you, thank you!  I discovered the inability to download Windows Vista updates, let alone find them in the first place, a week or so ago.  I thought it might have been corruption, or a virus, or ?

So I restored to an Acronis backup I did in November, 2015.  No luck--no better.  So I restored to an Acronis backup from May, 2015.  Still no better.  Then I found this thread.  My HP Photosmart worked better at this interim juncture, so I downloaded the pictures from my camera, then restored back to the Acronis backup of November, 2015, so that I would have a smaller re-creation job.  At that point I already had two of the six pre-updates you listed.  I downloaded and installed the other four, and started the "Check for Updates".  At first I thought I was still lost, but overnight the (34) updates were found.  I downloaded and installed them without trouble.  Thank you again. !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users