Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows Update Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dlistonpi

dlistonpi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621990/windows-update-taking-forever - Hamluis.

Hi,

I just joined to say thank you for the post about KB3172605, I came by the problem in trying to do a repair (reinstall) of Win7 SP1 that had hung for 4 hours before I bailed and used the one-two combo of KB3020369 first, otherwise known as the April 2015 Servicing Stack, then the now-famous KB3172605. (Actually I had KB3020369 already, so needed only the second one, '605.)

After I confirmed KB3020369 then installed KB3172605, rebooted and re-launched the Win7 disc, the "Latest Updates" check literally cycled in one second. 1/60th of a minute. :guitar:

This makes me suspect that the problems hanging up the regular Windows Update is the same thing hanging when we try to do a repair (upgrade) of the OS. My Windows Update last had worked in mid-October, and realizing that had prompted several days of hassle leading to today's "Repair/Upgrade" and discovering the other hang on "Latest Updates."

Thanks again-

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2016 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dlistonpi

dlistonpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

I think it's fair to say that "you (perhaps) ain't seen nothing yet". I've been chasing the solution for this for several days now. And I mean full time days, not just occasionally.

The conundrum, of course, is that (unless you follow the procedure outlined in Moxie's post) Windows will revert to using the Update app to download the update necessary to fix itself, and of course, it can't, because the Update interface is not functioning.

I haven't run the routine above yet, but can report that a Win7 repair/"Upgrade" did not fix that issue, and now on top of the updater not working, I have an obsolete version of I.E. (IE8) which needs to be updated in order to access the Windows updates page ...to fix the updater. But Windows reverts to "checking for updates" when I attempt to run the I.E. 10 installer, and it goes nowhere.

Wow, huh?

So the workaround is to use Chrome to access the updates that may fix the Updater itself so I can then install iE 10.

I have a feeling that I'll be back. Thanks Moxie for the post, BTW.

#3 dlistonpi

dlistonpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

...and a follow-up to my post above; though KB3020369 then KB3172605 did apparently fix the hang for the 'checking information' or whatever it was called at the outset, it did not fix the Windows Updater itself, that problem remains to be solved.

I should have known it was too easy. The "Repair-Upgrade" did not fix the updater; whatever happens during the repair does not fix the Updater issue.

Onward!

#4 dlistonpi

dlistonpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

It worked!!!!

Updates%20Fixed.jpg

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi:

Unfortunately my earlier reply to you seems to have been removed or lost.

I'm glad that the posted solution worked for you, as it has for so many of us.  Yes, KB3172605 seems to be the key.

It may be too late now, but I hope you did not try to install all 233 patches at once?

A plausible strategy is to install them in small bunches (perhaps 5-10 at a time) and in roughly chronological order (which can be approximated by the KB numbers in most cases, or by the release date).

Aside from that, one might follow this priority list, such as:

1. Critical and important Windows security patches
  2. Critical and important MS Office and other security patches
  3. Important, non-security patches
  4. MS .NET Framework patches
  5. Other, "recommended" patches, as desired
  6. {"Optional" patches: only after researching them and determining which, if any, apply to one's system}

Most important: INFINITE patience and do not use the computer for other things during the updating process.

Cheers,

MM

#6 EZSPIRIT

EZSPIRIT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hi MoxieMomma
Just wanted to thank you for your post in the thread Windows Updates Taking Forever. I tried numerous things to help with the same issue before luckily seeing your excellent advice. I took it step by step, and in less than twenty minutes my windows updates problems were solved on two computers. Your excellent advice has been posted to another forum I'm a member of, and credit has been given to you. Thanks again. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users