Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install a Wireless speaker to a PC without bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bearcat22

bearcat22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:21 PM

thanks for taking a look, I appreciate the help

Trying to set up a HP p6710 desktop running Windows 7 to work with a wireless speaker. Computer did not come with bluetooth.

Purchased a bluetooth USB adapter, and a bluetooth speaker, from different manufacturers. Speaker manufacturer does not happen to make adapters, by the way.

Speaker and Dongle both from Amazon.

DOSS Touch Wireless Bluetooth V4.0 Portable Speaker with HD Sound and Bass (Black)
by DOSS
sold by Wonderstech

Dongle is:

ANLENG Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle Adapter Compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 32/64 Bit for Cellphones Mouse Printers Keyboards Headsets Speakers

Main purpose of the speaker is to use with the desktop computer to stream intenet content.  I do have a cell phone, but it is deactivated, no service.

My internet connection is hardwired through an all in one device.

Tested the speaker with some music stored on the cell phone hard drive, so it does work.

Manual for speaker says to turn it on, blue circle will blink, and when it goes solid, it has paired with the device.

Light blinks, never goes solid, is not seeming to detect the USB dongle or my computer.  The computer reports that the speaker IS detected.

I have no idea how to adjust things in Windows 7 to make sure that this speaker is the designated output device.

Edited by bearcat22, 01 December 2016 - 04:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17156/windows-10-connect-to-bluetooth-devices

See if this helps at all.

#3 bearcat22

bearcat22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Right clicking the Bluetooth icon brings up:

Turn Bluetooth Radio Off

Turn Discovery Off

Add Bluetooth Device

Show Bluetooth Devices

Bluetooth Settings

About

To be certain, I put the CSR CD back in the computer. The only option was to remove it. I removed it, and reinstalled it.

During installation, these options came up, and this is what I selected:

Discovery Mode (selected ON)

SCMS-T (no idea what that is, but I chose Enabled)

Device Type (selected PC desktop)

I don't know what "guide" you are referring to. I have a small booklet of six pages. None of the pages are numbered. It is a single sheet of paper folded into an accordion to create pages.

I made sure that WiFi and Bluetooth were turned off on my smartphone.

I turned off my wired speakers, and pulled the connection plug to the computer.

I then turned on the wireless speaker. The light begins to flash. I right clicked on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray, and chose "Add Bluetooth Device". Found my speaker by brand name.

This led to a box that said "Bluetooth Device Successfully Installed" or something like that, with a little picture of headphones and the brand name of my speaker.

Then I noticed a flashing icon in the system tray, downloading a bunch of drivers, some of them with the word Bluetooth.

Meanwhile, the speaker light has gone solid, and a voice came on and said "Paired".

The driver download finished.

I then tried playing audio through the wireless speaker, tried adjusting the volume on the speaker, and no sound is coming out.

I pressed the Mode button several times, and nothing happened.

I then typed in Audio in Windows, and ran some kind of troubleshooter, which allowed me to select the speaker as the default output device.

All this time I had a YouTube video running in the background so that I would know if the speaker started working.

At some point this started playing, but it was all broken up, freezing and stuttering. I tried a Netflix movie, same thing.

I closed my Firefox browser and opened Internet Explorer. Tried a YouTube video, and the audio now played without stuttering.

However, there was a huge contrast between my earlier test using the cell phone. I have some music ripped from CDs that are stored on the hard drive of the phone. When played through the speaker, the quality was amazing, heavenly. I was able to crank the volume up to ridiculously loud level with no distortion.

The YouTube audio was beyond horrible. It sounded like it was being fed through a cardboard tube.

With the cell phone, I was able to increase volume on the speaker dial until it was so loud that the speaker was actually vibrating, with zero distortion. I checked the slider on YouTube, it was at Max volume. I checked the computer system tray, speakers were set at max. Yet the sound is weak. It won't go past the halfway point of what the cell phone source was pumping out.

I tried the Pandora website, same thing. Hollow, weak, "tinny" sound!

I tried This American Life, the audio sounds incredibly far away. You can turn DOWN the volume, but you cannot increase it!

I can only guess that there is something bleeped up about my computer. Maybe the audio hardware inside it is junk. I am bitterly disappointed.

If I had service on the phone, I'd test it to see if internet audio sucks being transmitted through that, also.

An important note. I have a couple of cheap hardwired computer speakers. The wireless speaker is sitting next to them. In the past, I've used these wired speakers to listen to the internet, and I can crank the volume MUCH higher as I'm sitting there, and nothing sounds like it is inside a tube, or tinny.

Not high enough to reach the kitchen or the shower, which is why I wanted the wireless speaker in the first place, but these wired speakers cost maybe ten bucks. The wireless around thirty bucks. So why does the wireless suck so intensely?

I then closed Internet Explorer, and suddenly a blue screen came up saying something about Windows not working and insisting that I remove all recently installed hardware.

I had to manually restart the computer. Took forever to reboot.

Tried everything again, and audio from internet still sucks donkey balls.

Edited by bearcat22, 02 December 2016 - 01:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users