Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Pro Disrupts Home Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BigSky1

BigSky1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro and a 2016 Macbook Pro that appear to disrupt/interfere with my home wifi service.  My Macbooks constantly look for wifi networks while connecting on and off, constantly.  Meanwhile our internet on other devices constantly gets disrupted kicking out and interfering with whomever and whatever devices are trying to utilize the service.  We contacted the internet provider.  They sent a technician to check our lines and router.  All, according to the technician, were working properly.  We tested it with my Macbook Pro and the technician told me that it was my Macbook that was disrupting and interfering with the service.  Consequently, we have tried using the internet with other devices, including computers, other than my Macbook and the technician appears to be correct.  I have searched and can't find a solution to this.  ls there some setting or settings that I can change on this computer to eliminate this problem?  I have no smart T.V.s and we have no landline telephone in our house.  When I use other, non-Macbook devices, nobody gets kicked out.  However, when using the Macbooks, people are constantly getting kicked out whether using a smart phone, computer, ipod or tablet.  All other devices appear to work harmoniously with each other.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 02 December 2016 - 07:12 PM.
Moved from Web browsing etc. to Mac OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

My Macbooks constantly look for wifi networks while connecting on and off, constantly.  Meanwhile our internet on other devices constantly gets disrupted kicking out and interfering with whomever and whatever devices are trying to utilize the service.

By "constantly looking for WiFi networks" I guess you mean if you click the wifi icon, you see other networks appearing and disappearing.  As far as I know, this is common across most WiFi enabled devices, they continuously survey the area for available access points.  This for example allows a phone to automatically connect to a known network when it's in range.  It's just the behaviour is hidden from view most of the time.  Some software like Netspot (on Mac and Windows) allows you to see this happening in more detail.

As for the Macbook's kicking other devices off your network, sorry I've never heard of that being an issue.  I have a Macbook Pro and it co-exists fine with other WiFi devices in the house including iPad's, a Linux based media PC, TV's, a home cinema receiver, etc. etc.  If it was happening with one MBP, and it was a repeatable and reliable effect, that could possibly point to a faulty WiFi module in one of them, but it seems pretty unlikely to be an issue with two.  There really isn't many settings you can change on a Mac with regard to WiFi.

Is your router capable of dual band operation?  If so, try switching the devices capable of it (MBP's are dual band capable) to the 5 Ghz band.  It is usually a little shorter range than 2.4 Ghz, but has more bandwidth available and can therefore give a more reliable connection in area's that have a lot of WiFi routers.

Other than that, you might try using software like Netspot to experiment with the routers WiFi channel.  You will be able to see if a close neighbours router is operating on the same channel as yours, which can certainly cause problems.  I've found I get the most reliable 2.4 Ghz connections on Channel 1, but YMMV..

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 BigSky1

BigSky1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the information.  I'll check your suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users