Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SHOPPING LIST TO BULD A NEW WIN7 PRO DESKTOP

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Marvd

Marvd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

First post here and THANK YOU all for sharing your insight and expertise. 

a 3 part question

Because of some business software issues and not sure if it's software or hardware but i'm stuck in Windows7  pro (64bit SP1) 

I did a HD clone on a working PC that has a ASUS motherboard. Will I make a mess of that HD if I put it in a near identical tower that has a Gigabit board of the same era? I NEED this clone to stay functioning and not worth risking it to a 'trial fit'. Will the different motherboard cause it to alter the HD by a self update. I don't have the ability to do another HD clone on the other PC right now. 

Assuming that won't work, I guess I have to stuff a new HD in this tower, format and load all the software again. (takes about 3 days to get everything up and running and I really don't have that time) Is that the next logical step???

I am having issue with it doing a slow boot, then becoming so slow it's not functioning. I try to do a restore in safemode with networking but it errors and gets the fatal blue screen. Next . If I can I'd like to stuff a new motherboard new processor (must be IBM chIp BTW, the i7 core running 3.7 works flawlessly, others may also) 16g ram and stuff it in the coolermaster case I have (as I have a 3 others and power supplys for them) 

The question is,,,The last 3 I built are running ASUS P8Z 68V mother boards IF I have to build a new tower,  what case and motherboard / processore is happy with win7 64bit. (I have a coupel of lecenses and the original disks so acquireing 7pro isnt a problem.

Because of some business software issues and not sure if it's software or hardware but i'm stuck in Windows7  pro (64bit SP1) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Exactly which Windows 7 Pro 64bit do you have -- OEM or MS retail?

"...I did a HD clone on a working PC that has a ASUS motherboard. Will I make a mess of that HD if I put it in a near identical tower that has a Gigabit board of the same era?..."

If I understand this question correctly; your Windows 7 Pro, which came from computer A [Asus mobo], cloned onto a HD which is placed in computer B [Gigabyte mobo], will have much trouble [because of hardware and drivers just to start with], you will be lucky if it boots into even Safe Mode.  And, if by chance your Windows 7 Pro is an OEM, and not a MS retail, it definitely will not work very long, the license brick wall will appear in short order.  I'm not sure engaging SysPrep [if you should choose to try that step and clone again] and your desire to keep all of your 3rd party programs entact are even closely compatible.  I think you're going to have to invest in reinstalling all your 3rd party programs after getting Windows Prime working.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Marvd

Marvd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thank you Roland.I apologize for the unclear post. I had pretty much suspected I would not be able to use the clone,, but had to ask. 

I assembled  these 2 computers some years ago from a shopping cart full of components  and software DVDs from my local Frys Electronics.

To make a long story short, I did some checking and the problem child is the PC with  a gigabite x58 motherboard that  I just realized was (I believe)  a i5 processor. I am 99% sure the board is issue so a new HD would be a waste. When I query control panel / system,, it can not identify the processor or how much memory is installed,, it just reports "not available" .That PC has been having random infrequent  freezes and re-starts over the last 6-8 months and kasperski has ran diligently I'm ready to call it a used up motherboard, memory  and processor. 

I don't need a real hotrod, a i7 running 3.2g processor and 16gig of ram is perfect for the hardware it is driving. WHAT mother board and intel processor can I get today that is:

'happy'  Win7 pro 64bit

fit a full size coolermaster tower

and be something close to the ASUS P8Z 68V mother board

I have to have at least 16gig of ram.

I know everything is geared towards Win10 but no one I know has been able to make this specific machinery hardware / software work on 10,, I need production not more headaches fighting the software.

Recomendations?

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:33 AM

I know this may be a no brainer for those in the know about the machinery/software/hardware etc etc that you depend on.....

But I just have to ask the question:

Has any attempt been made to use Linux ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

I have no recommendations; others here in BC will weigh in with their advice!  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Marvd

Marvd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

I don't know of anyone that has attempted it Condobloke. 

The big issue is the equipment was originally managed under HP basic,, then someone wrote a emulator called HTbasic that grabs the OS and works under WIN 95 through 7 (64), interpreting the HP commands. It's a MESS and a company that has now closed. But if I can get 3-5 more years out of this I'll retire. But cant afford a complete company revamp and stay in business. It's a 16bit program and Win7 'shouldnt work bu tit does. 

I'm stuck at WIN 7

Edited by Marvd, 02 December 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

My respectful suggestion is to back up here, and clearly state what it is exactly you want to do. I am getting the idea that you are trying to put together a new unit from parts you already have. Is that it? And, IF I am correct, you want to clone an existing Windows 7 OEM system off an existing  HDD onto the "new" HDD in your build-computer. Is this it?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Marvd

Marvd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Louis, that PC has degenerated over the last 2 days to where is will go to the desktop screen, but is totally unresponsive to keyboard input. I plugged in a wired keyboard,,, same result, can not input anything in the command line, search or anything. The mouse does move the curser around the screen in regular or safemode. But will not launch any program from the taskbar or a double click on desktop icons. EXCEPT, the control panel. No program (chrome, file explorer, nothing functions.) So a download and launch of th eminitoolbox is impossible.

I think I am calling it, and pulling the plug on it, and starting with what is reusable. 

Ranchhand__ I think that is exactly where we need to go. Lets forget trying to use the clone ot anything except 'some' of the hardware that appears to be good. Help me build a Win7 64pro tower in the existing case.

So to clarify. I HAVE these components I feel are reliable.

The case is a full size coolermaster tower case with 5 fans

, 750w powersupply

a Gforce GTS450 graphics card, .

,a blank 1T WD blue drive.

and an ASUS RW DVD drive

I have 5 licenses for Win7 pro retail version and the DVD

so,,,please help me choose a ASUS motherboard, 16g memory and a i7  processor  that will work well with Win7Pro and fit the pieces salvageable. Again the other PCs are CORE i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz and is PERFECT for the software / hardware. Just saying I don't need to invest in the latest and greatest fastest hotrod. the machinery requires a 9pin and a  LPT port (no USB emmulator to date has worked ) The PCI I/O half size cards have been working well  for us.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Moved from Win 7 to System Building/Upgrading.

Louis

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

Ok, now I am clear. I love doing this, I feel that I am cheating entropy by keeping older but perfectly good parts running.

I have to log-out now, life's obligations call, but I will log back in this early evening.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

Exaclty what are you going to use this unit for? Ordinary business apps and email, or gaming etc.

#13 Marvd

Marvd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

It must drive a number of survey specific software packages,, including GPS receiver software, radio programming software, Topcon GPS positioning software (all32bit)  and general office software like Quickbooks, MS word, Google Chrome, livemail, word, excel, powerpoint etc,,, plus some 64bit mapping and imaging software, Autocad 3Dcivil . multiple network and hardwired printers, 

Wow that pretty much everything that is on the one that crashed. 

And again, win7Pro 64bit is the last windows that has been proven to drive the system. Because of the HPbasic dos emmulator for one of the software packages, this is the 7Pro 64 bit is the last Windows that would allow that 16bit software function (even though it wasn't supposed to,, it DOES) . It would not work in Win8, and I know of no one that has had any luck getting it to operate in Win10

Edited by Marvd, 02 December 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

Here's what I came up with, trying to be somewhat reasonable on the cost:

> Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K. This has the heatsink and fan included for convenience. The majority of users report no overheating problems, a couple do.  Getting excellent reviews from users.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

> Mobo: Asus H81M-C/CSM. Low priced board but getting good reviews. 2 USB3 ports, 4 USB2 ports
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83UD9885&cm_re=lga_1150-_-13-132-043-_-Product

> Memory: Ripjaw DDR3. Getting excellent reviews from several hundred users.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=36&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

This setup is not the very latest DDR4 platform, but it will be totally fast for what your uses are and the price isn't bad (IMHO).  It also has integrated memory which I like. If your video card fails on you in the future, you have integrated video to fall back on until you replace it. If you have the extra money, you might think about investing in a power supply tester. And if the budget is still floating and hasn't been torpedoed, a 500gig SSD would make this unit scream.

You might save some money by using a purchasing parts picker, but I personally like Newegg. If you have any problems within 30 days Newegg will take it back and you don't have to putz with the manufacturer. Just call their 800 number and they may even may pay shipping back to them. I have done it many times.

As a side thought....if anyone else logging in to this thread has suggestions, please feel free to post in!

#15 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:40 AM

Ranchand the H81 is for previous gen. Intel H110 goes with the 6700/6700k series. DDr3 was also last gen. DD4 is what's going on with this gen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users