Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop running Windows 10 completely stuck

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 navidson

navidson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hello all - I'm a newbie so please be gentle - and apologies if this is in the wrong place

My son in law has a gaming PC - He's been messing around with the settings (obviously deleted something he shouldn't have) and now the PC is in a state of perpetual nothingness

The computer will boot - but it takes a good 10 minutes to get to the desktop - There are now no icons on the desktop and it is not possible to get onto the internet - Nor is it possible to run any programmes (I have tried to run a system restore but to no avail)

Like i say, I have tried to run a system restore, a repair and tried to boot into safe mode but it's not having it - It will let me get into the command prompt but will not run anything instructed from there either

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would be quite happy to reinstall Windows, but ATM cannot format or install anything!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

If there is nothing critical on the machine I would simply reinstall Windows 10 from installation media you can create using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.  If there is something critical on the machine I would connect it's hard drive as though it were an external hard drive to another machine to copy off whatever needs to be preserved first.

If the computer boots as you describe it should be a simple issue to interrupt it to get into UEFI to change to boot order to look at the device where you have your install media (which is bootable) before the currently installed Windows would be seen.

Having no idea what machine this is I cannot say for certain what key you have to hit during boot to get to the UEFI interface.  On my HP laptop hitting ESC about once per second does the trick, but you should be able to find the information regarding what key to use in the documentation for the system or by checking out the manufacturer's support site (or calling them).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 navidson

navidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

If there is nothing critical on the machine I would simply reinstall Windows 10 from installation media you can create using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.  If there is something critical on the machine I would connect it's hard drive as though it were an external hard drive to another machine to copy off whatever needs to be preserved first.

If the computer boots as you describe it should be a simple issue to interrupt it to get into UEFI to change to boot order to look at the device where you have your install media (which is bootable) before the currently installed Windows would be seen.

Having no idea what machine this is I cannot say for certain what key you have to hit during boot to get to the UEFI interface.  On my HP laptop hitting ESC about once per second does the trick, but you should be able to find the information regarding what key to use in the documentation for the system or by checking out the manufacturer's support site (or calling them).

Hiya Brian - Thanks for this - I can access the UEFI interface by holding shift and restarting the PC - The problem is that whatever option I choose (system restore etc) the computer doesnt seem to respond accordingly - It restarts itself and then it just has a black screen for a while before I give up and switch it off!

Could you please tell me how to switch the boot option from the UEFI menu?

Thanks

Edited by navidson, 02 December 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

You need to post the make and model of this computer in order for us to determine who the manufacturer of the BIOS is.  Once we know this we should be able to provide you with instructions to change the boot order in the BIOS to reflect the type of installation media you are going to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

It is impossible to tell you how, exactly, to get into the BIOS settings under a specific UEFI without having the information that dc3 has mentioned.

That being said, the general format of the UEFI interface is pretty consistent.  Take a look at this thread I posted a while back entitled, UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop, taking the time to look at the series of pictures in order.  Your UEFI should have a "Boot Device Options" and/or "BIOS Setup" option, either of which would allow you to redirect the computer to an alternate boot device for the purpose of reinstalling Windows 10 (or any OS).  If one of those options isn't there then give us a list of what shows up in the UEFI menu.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 navidson

navidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the assistance guys - The computer is a Gigabyte H81M-S2H

Hope this is the required info!

#7 navidson

navidson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

I can access the UEFI - but the option for any sort of 'Boot device' is not there - The only things I can change in 'Advanced Options' are:

System Restore (Restarts to a constant black screen)

System Image Recovery (Restarts to a constant black screen)

Start-Up Repair (Restarts to a constant black screen)

Command Prompt (Can access command prompt but nothing will run from there)

Start-Up Settings (Restarts to a constant black screen)

Go back to the previous build (Restarts to a constant blank screen)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

ndavidson,

I am profoundly confused, as it looks like "Start-Up Settings" is where you should look.  If you haven't changed anything in Start-Up settings then you should expect precisely the same behavior you've been experiencing before.  Allowing all to remain unchanged makes the same boot sequence you've been attempting be attempted again.

From what I found here it seems like the likely multi-press key for GIGABYTE UEFI BIOS would be the Delete/Del key.  That's only if you don't have fast boot enabled, but, if you do, I think if you do a hard shutdown (holding in the power button until the power cuts off) you will force a "from scratch" boot sequence that should allow you to get to UEFI.

There is no way that any UEFI does not, somewhere, contain boot options.  Once you find those at least you can try booting from external media.  You could even try a Live CD/USB version of Linux to see if the machine can boot and run that.  If it can't then something pretty serious has got to be wrong at the hardware level.  If you can't get to boot options somewhere in UEFI then something's really wrong at the hardware (or firmware) level.

Edited by britechguy, 02 December 2016 - 07:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users