Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downngraded from 10, now 25 character ID is not genuine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

I downgraded from windows 10 back to 7, now i got a notice that my activation is expiring, i tried to call to re-activate and the automated service directed me to India, where the tech said i need to re-purchase a valid key and that my current key is temporary.

is this common?  how to right this seemingly immoral wrong??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-downgrade-windows-10/

#3 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

ok, got it, thanks for the page.. is there a way to retrieve my old 7 key, i don't have it, because i didn't realize how important it was at the ttime.

trying showkey[lus npow

Edited by OptimusSemi-Prime, 01 December 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#4 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

it says i need net franework, googling npw..

i tried to retrive the old id, it said look in hive, i don't have the /old folder present

Edited by OptimusSemi-Prime, 01 December 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

About halfway down in this post is some further info on showkey followed by some further optoion if that doesnt work

http://win10faq.com/windows-not-activated-downgrade-windows-10/

#6 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

It looks like without that ~old folder, showkey isn't going  to help

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

Ok have a look at the link i posted (Start at "What if the product key does not work or you were not able to find the genuine product key?") and see if any of those options are any good to you.

ie:

Option 1:

If the COA sticker is damaged, in that case you need to use the recovery partition to reinstall Windows 7. It will take your PC to the factory state, wiping all your data and software installed by you. This will exempt the need to use the product key to activate your Windows 7 installation.

Make sure you backup all your data before trying this.

Option 2:

If your recovery partition is not available or damaged. In that case contact the PC manufacturer and request for a recovery disc set that you can use to reinstall Windows 7. There might be a small charge for shipping and handling. This will also exempt the need to use the product key.

If these dont work you may have no choice but to purchase a new key,a bit of research on the net doesnt show up any other solutions i can find..hope one of the above works for you.

#8 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:24 PM

ok, thanks for the info.. i was trying to avoid buying anything if i already have it. it is a asus motherboard. so buying recovery disks isn;t a go. i got it at a yard sale .

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:05 AM

Right,dont blame you...be nice if Microslopy gave the quite large percentage of people in this situation a new key but their not,

I think if i was in this situation,if you cant do a factory reset id accept the damage and buy a new key...or if i was really short of money to throw at it id back everything up and install Linux Lubuntu or similar for a whila..its free after all.

I cant see any further options in this situation,its either factory reset (remember to back up data) buy a key or go for the Linux option.good luck.

#10 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

ok, thanks. i downloaded Mint one time, but couldn't get it to work. i had a lot of help from the linux people though. but i guess i couldn't get it to work and closed out the effort.

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Yeah Mint looks nice,ive used Ubuntu,Kubuntu and Lubuntu dual booting with my XP.. guess if  a factory reset wont work and you really dont want to buy the key you can get Linux install disks or usb,s for not much.Good luck.

#12 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

it is nice to know that the linux area is here and can answer all the usual questions about setting it up. i always thought of it as a scatter job with all the distros seemingly going into an infinite loop. and then it was good for old hardware that just cant use windows with any kind of responsiveness.

anyway, thanks for the insight into my dilemma. i would really prefer to keep the licensing legit if it was using MS

#13 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

it is nice to know that the linux area is here and can answer all the usual questions about setting it up. i always thought of it as a scatter job with all the distros seemingly going into an infinite loop. and then it was good for old hardware that just cant use windows with any kind of responsiveness.

Well all i can say from using Lubuntu from personal experience is that it was exelent,easy to use..the only issue being the Windows apps that wont run on it if you really need those apps for variuos functions..Mint and Redhat look interesting,ill try them when ive got a minute..i have a friend who does a lot of online work and webhosting and he much preferes using Linux although he has Windoes also..what  your used to i guess.

Anyway good luck,whatever you decide to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users