Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Html In Ie Vs Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

I have been experimenting with HTML lately and have run into a snag.

So I wrote up the code for a webpage and using notepad for the text editor, checking it with Firefox as I went. It was looking pretty good for an initial build, so I sent it to a friend to check it out, and he responded by saying, "yeah, well, the spacing is messed up."

Turns out when you open the page in IE it doesn't work right.

I remember back in the day when you opened a webpage it would sometimes have a separate link for Netscape and IE...

Anyway, any pointers on making webpages compatible with both browsers? Any extra bits of code that are needed...either on the pages or the cascading style sheet?

Thanks!
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

That completely depends on exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish. I did the same thing awhile back.. In fact, I developed an entire web app for a company using Firefox. When I put it out for testing, I got a few complaints of things not displaying properly. When I looked at the app in IE, I was a bit shocked to see that indeed things were screwed up.

So I went back through and recoded the html so that it displayed properly in IE. It doesn't look as pretty in Firefox anymore, but oh well. One of the first things you need to do to make html and css cross browser compatible is to make sure it is properly formed code by using a validator. After that, Google for "html browser compatibility" or "css browser compatibility", and read all of the different documentation that you can find.

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

Ah thanks! I wonder if it is a specific line of code that is different on each browser.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

No, it isn't. It has to do with the way different browsers interpret HTML, and how well the browsers comply with standards. In general, if you make something work in Firefox, it will work in everything else except IE. The reason for that is pretty much because Microsoft doesn't much adhere to any accepted standards. The simple fact is that there are multiple tags that are handled differently, and you need to figure out which tags do what on which browser. Fortunately, there are multiple sites that do that for you.

#5 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

Blasted Microsoft! Foiled again! :thumbsup:

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

Ack.. I forgot to provide some links:
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/supportkey/a.htm

Those should help a bit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic