Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Validating Legit Xp And With Mail And Ims

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 missyj

missyj

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

OK, New Topic :thumbsup:

I have a legit XP and now I get a message that it isn't validated. I also can't access either Yahoo or MSN mail or IMs. Computer worked fine up until last night, and now have these problems. My XP came with my Dell. I have reformatted before and reinstalled the same version. Don't know if that would be a problem or not. I did that last year. I did Norton, AD-Aware, and Spybot scans, with a few things being picked up in the Ad-Aware and Spybot, which I fixed. Norton saw nothing.

Any help out there?? :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Go to this site:http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 missyj

missyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

I went to the site and it says I have valid software. The only thing I didn't do was contact my manufacturer to see if my recovery CD was genuine. I can't access the email section of "contact us" on the dell site. It says page cannot be displayed.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

That is good news! What happens when you go to Windows Update and check for updates? Have you tried that? I am not familiar with the site you just used to validate. Did it actually scan your comp or did you just submit the key manually?
The other problem your having with emails may be related to your firewall. Do you have Zone Alarm and if so do you also have Zone Alarm Spam blocking?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 missyj

missyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:22 PM

When I go and try an update, it tells me to allow ActiveX which I do, but I still can't update. I get no error that Active X didn't work or anything like that. The only firewall I have is the one on Norton. i just put in the information or the validation manually, since I couldn't use ActiveX. I didn't put in a key code, just checked the information about the COA sticker on the computer.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

I think the next step is to contact Microsoft. It should be a free call because it concerns a security issue. It could be that you missed a step when you reinstalled your OS. Have you installed any updates since reinstalling OS? Do you have SP1 and SP2?

#7 missyj

missyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

I think I have both SP1 and SP2. I will find a number and call microsoft and see what they say. Do you think that will also take care of the email and IM problems?

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

I don't believe the two problems are connected. I would try turning off Norton firewall and enabling windows firewall just to eliminate the possibility that Norton is the problem. What other security programs do you have?

#9 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:01 AM

If you are using a LAN, make sure "Detect Automatic Configuration" is NOT checked. Go to Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings.

#10 missyj

missyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:09 AM

I'm not using a LAN, but made sure that the "Detect..." was NOT checked. Also found that I'm using Windows firewall, that the kids DISABLED! Any other thing I can do to fix the eamil issue??

#11 missyj

missyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

Just got off the phone with Microsoft. They were helpful. They gave me a new product code for the version of XP that is installed on my computer, since it seems it isn't the one that was orginally installed. When I had my machine reformatted, they must have used a different copy of software. Anyway, now I can't activate it, even with their help, since I get an message saying I can't connect to the server. They told me to keep trying, since I have 30 days to activate it, and if that doesn't work, then I have to reformat again.

I'm still having issues with the mail and IMs, though.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:13 AM

To find out what version of Windows you have, Click on "start"/click on "My Computer"/ In the System Tasks window on left, click on "View system Information"

Again, make sure all of Norton is disabled. Enable Windows firewall. Only have one firewall running!! Reboot and check email connection. After reboot, Norton, if disabled, should not be seen in Task Bar.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

How are you connecting to the internet?

You may need the help of your ISP to configure your connection.

Additionally, the number for Microsoft Support when it pertains to security problems resulting from Critical Updates and Service Pacs is:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

If you use the phone number that appears on the activation message you do not need to be connected to the internet to authenticate your installation. They will give you a long series of numbers and letters to complete the activation over the phone, (different than your 25 digit Windows key number) and walk you through the process.

Also, you need to put Windows Update and Microsoft.com in your "Trusted" category, in the security section of Internet Explorer, and make sure your Active X settings are as follows:

In Internet Explorer click on the “tools” tab
Click on “Internet Options”
Click the “Security” tab
Click “Custom Level”

Under Active X Controls and Plugins

Download Signed Active X Controls
Choose “prompt”

Download Unsigned Active X Controls
Choose disable

Initialize and Script Active X controls not marked as safe
Disable

Run Active X controls and plugins
Enable

Script Active X Controls marked as safe
Enable

Your security level needs to be set no more than "Medium", which should be the default setting anyway.

Go to your control panel and click on "Automatic Updates".
Set it to automatically download and install recommended updates at a time when you are fairly sure your computer will be on and online.
Click "OK'.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 August 2006 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users