Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the pros and cons of using Linux Mint or Windows 7?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

So i wonder what would the pros and cons be of installing linux mint or staying with windows 7 on my  computer.

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 01 December 2016 - 03:48 PM.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

Pro for using Windows 7: There are more games for Windows than there are for Linux, so with Windows 7 there is a greater choice of games.

Pro for using Linux Mint: There is less malware for Linux than there is for Windows, so with Linux Mint there is less chance of your system becoming infected.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

Software support. Windows has it, Linux does not. That is, it is unlikely to support software you want to use.

Using myself as an example, I need Windows for certain software. Games is a big one, 3D modeling/animation is another. If Zbrush existed for Linux, I may move over to Linux Mint real soon. Sadly it does not...yet. So I am stuck with Windows for all of my creativity.

Sure Mac OS has all the creative software, such as Zbrush, but it does not have the games. So for software support Windows is still the big winner.

To summarize: 

Windows has a lot of software - PRO

Linux does not have a lot of software - CON

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

I agree with the Pros/Cons of AI and Gorbulan. I think if one was to look at it, it all comes down to what software you use (as Gorbulan stated). If you mostly use web based applications, or could switch to them (think google docs instead of MS Office), then you could use any OS you wanted. If you use even one piece of software that is only available on Windows, and you don't think you could do without it, then MS it is.

I'd say a Pro of Linux is it just works. Installing it is pretty dang simple, and the typical beginner Linux OS doesn't require much to configure it (if at all). Once installed you are good to go, no needing to install a third party firewall (just turn on the built in one) or an AV. If you get a LTS release then you'll be good to go for as long as that release is supported. They also don't typically break all that often, nor does it get "bloated" and slow like Windows does after a period of time.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 01 December 2016 - 01:39 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Pro for using Windows 7: There are more games for Windows than there are for Linux, so with Windows 7 there is a greater choice of games.

Pro for using Linux Mint: There is less malware for Linux than there is for Windows, so with Linux Mint there is less chance of your system becoming infected.

i couldnt care less about games when i have a computer that lags while using CHROME

Twitter

Website

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Other people care about games.

This topic has nothing to do with your computer.

Edited by Al1000, 01 December 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

Both are good OS's actually but here are some good points:

Windows 7:

Pros:

has more programs and games for it, if you like to play steam or game a lot then windows 7 is better.

has more hardware support in general thanks to external drivers

Cons:

is memory hungry

has viruses, malware, spyware and all sorts of security issues

needs to be defragmented

Will loose support in 2020 and you will need to buy another version of windows

Linux Mint 18:

Pros:

Is great at memory management

doesnt have (working) viruses, malware, spyware (though no OS is totally immune, linux does have its security bugs however most are fixed fast unlike windows which can take a long time)

doesnt need to be defragmented

will loose support in 2021 but will be free to upgrade without needing to buy another version

Cons:

windows still has more programs for it

hardware support isnt as good (however linux can be very good at hardware support, its just below mac OSX in that respect)

yes the pros and cons mirror eachother but its the truth.

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 December 2016 - 02:17 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

Lot's of good points so far.  I'd like to add that Updates are super friendly in Linux, they happen daily or by daily, and are very quick and small.  Windows 7 has issues with the Updater being broken, and the Updates take a long time in some situations.  Most average users I know complain about this also.  "Oh know" they say, I have to update now, can't shut down the laptop while at the library etc.  Even I complain about this in Windows 7, takes forever sometimes.  We've been through all this before though in multiple Threads.  At this point I think you should make a list of all the Apps or Programs you use in Windows and see if you can do the same in linux.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:52 AM

Lot's of good points so far.  I'd like to add that Updates are super friendly in Linux, they happen daily or by daily, and are very quick and small.  Windows 7 has issues with the Updater being broken, and the Updates take a long time in some situations.  Most average users I know complain about this also.  "Oh know" they say, I have to update now, can't shut down the laptop while at the library etc.  Even I complain about this in Windows 7, takes forever sometimes.  We've been through all this before though in multiple Threads.  At this point I think you should make a list of all the Apps or Programs you use in Windows and see if you can do the same in linux.

I use Opera some converter i found that doesnt seem to have any malware on it paint.net VLC media player (its definetely available for linux) TeamViewer Google Chrome AOMEI Backupper Standard and this thing which seems to be available for linux Firefox Speccy Lightshot (theres a replacement for that i bet) and WinRAR.

Twitter

Website

#10 HwdSlle

HwdSlle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:16 AM

looks like Microsoft™ Windows works just like a perfect offline operating system,

on which if not everything besides probably on become some specific developer; then also besides the computer itself and electricity,

very easily you can just have all the softwares recorded on a cd\dvd\blu-ray and just install it to never care on a single glimpse of internet connection;

and then you just look to the world by the window;

and then where Linux are to be seem so that electricity would had to connect to the internet somewhere

then communication to possess the movement than a possessed standalone machine itself, so to focus on to get there like an android robocop and be updated;

mostly a very part of satisfaction seem to produce effort to acknowledge and understand the tool then on thinking if you are about to really want to create your distribution of that Linux operating system.

the thing is about to learn the software and create than to participate; so the guess would be Linux at the internet computer and Windows your productive offline machine;

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:32 AM

Hi Koala

Do you have the space to try both? ie dual-booting?

That will give you the best opportunity to compare the two.

Once Linux is installed, if you find you prefer it, then you can be extreme as I was over 2 years ago now, and blow away Windows.

Or look at other options.

Linux is nothing without being about available choices.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:45 AM

Do you have the space to try both? ie dual-booting?

We are starting to go around in circles with that question. I have already closed 2 of the OPs topics due to this.

To sum it up.

The OP wont risk windows. So Dual booting is out of the question,

The OP has been given all the information they need to dual boot and create backups.

The OP wont or cant buy extra USB sticks.

The OP wont or cant buy Blank CD/DVD disks.

Basically it is pointless going on with this thread.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:39 AM

Basically it is pointless going on with this thread.

I agree.

Since the question in the OP has now been edited to pertain to his own computer, regarding which he has already been advised in other topics as you mention, this topic is closed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users