Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 det676222

det676222

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

..... not responding

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

Hello and welcome:

That's not much detail from which to base any advice (WU issues are varied and complex).

But, I'll take a stab that perhaps it seems "stuck" on "checking for updates"?

If so...

This has been a serious and widespread problem for Win7 (and Vista and 8/8.1) for many months.

But there is a solution.

This worked for me on 2 Win7 systems and for many, many others who had the same issue both here and at another forum.

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (right click on it and then change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be disabled first.

If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 01 December 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response, but these Holidays have got good folks coming out of nowhere, all bearing gifts (read: good beer, wine and then some).

This worked!  :bananas:

After a month of promising my wife I would fix her stuck laptop, I sat down yesterday and worked my way through each step - which took some time and reboots - but who cares, she's now back up and running, all patched and updated.

Thank you again for posting this.

onward,

Winterland, basking in the cold crisp air & lovin' it.    

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

Well...it would be nice if you were the OP of this thread and this could be considered a successful solution for the stated situation.

Louis

#5 dlistonpi

dlistonpi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

It was a solution for several of us, that counts for something, doesn't it? If the point of the forum is to solve specific problems, then that's mission accomplished.

Well...it would be nice if you were the OP of this thread and this could be considered a successful solution for the stated situation.

Louis

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

Louis

My initial response to this Topic got split off by you & I replied to the wrong one but as dlistonpi pointed out, I did document a resolve, so what's with the odd passive aggressive need to reply in that manner?

Have I offended you?

Feel free to delete my Posts here if you feel it is necessary....I'm not sure what that would accomplish but if you feel I've committed some grievous act, I'll understand.

Oh yeah, and Happy Holidays.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 det1137

det1137

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

I'm the originator of this question. (?alias det676222) After long delay illness, finally got back to it. Thanks to Moxie and others. Windows 7 Home .... Windows Update abruptly stopped working. Upon attempted download of the two files, was told something like "not appropriate to this computer"? Figured I was over my head and took to tech @ Office Depot. System checked out and seemed fine. The suggested file fixes both predated onset of my problems. Sent me home with suggestions on accessing Updates by various approaches. Nothing worked. Did find an old System Restore date prior to onset of my problems. Ran that, and Windows update clicked right in. After 22 updates, machine running clean as a whistle. Thanks again. Very happy to find "bleeping....." for future reference.

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Hi:

Hmm, the error message you report sounds as if it might have been just a question of trying to download the wrong version of those patches for your computer?

When viewing the options at the MS Update Catalog, one needs to be sure to select the offline installer that applies to one's own computer:

• Windows 7 AND
  • Either 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on one's system architecture Windows version {edit} (see below)

I'm pretty sure we could have figured it out, but it sounds as if your workaround may have brought you to a successful outcome.

Thanks for taking the time to report your results -- and there's no need to apologize, of course (one's health, family and other matters always come first).

>>Quick questions:  why did you start a new forum account?  (Generally, the forum does not permit 2 accounts for one user -- so it would help the forum staff to know if you had problems with your original account???)

Thanks again,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 14 January 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

FWIW:  Selecting the correct download does not depend on system architecture :), it depends on which version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit) the user has installed.  Most computers dating from the Pentium era to today...all have 64-bit architecture.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Indeed.

Correction made.

Thanks,

MM

#11 copycat500