Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Quick Books 2011

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 junkman

junkman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:53 AM

I'm running Win 10 Home on an Asus GL552VW and do bookkeeping for a couple of friends that use QuickBooks 2011.  QB quit working.  I went through several QB trouble shooting processes found on Intuit's site and other places.  The processes all ended with R&R the software.  I did the normal uninstall (add/remove) then searched the registry and deleted references to Quick Books.  There must have been some remnants left on the machine because the install program had the serial listed from the prior install. 

I'd like to migrate out of QB because it is so proprietary and a general pita but first I need to get the program working to get access to the data.

Everything else on the system seems to be working fine and I don't want to install another Win 10 OS on another partition.  How do I completely uninstall QB?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 04 December 2016 - 06:07 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Business Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ET7Javion

ET7Javion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

maybe this may help you https://community.intuit.com/articles/1021037-reinstall-using-a-clean-install

#3 junkman

junkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

I never got QB to work.  Next, I reverted to an earlier copy of the OS that was a partition image made almost immediately after a fresh Win 10 install.  The install disk is from a Win 10 USB disk that I bought separate from the machine.  QB worked initially but quit working after I let MS install the forced updates.

I may go through the process of uninstalling updates until I find out whether there is a point where QB works. My understanding is that I can't postpone OS updates forever which means QB will break sometime probably in the near future.  At this point, I'm tempted to dump everything Microsoft and go learn Linux.  Unfortunately, I haven't found an easy way to migrate away from QB and I need the data for tax time.

Paying $300 for the new version of QB every time MS or Intuit breaks the software doesn't appear to be a good strategy.  For now, I can boot into a system partition that hasn't been updated and keep it disconnected from the web so it can't update.   That is inconvenient at best. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by junkman, 04 December 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#4 junkman

junkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Uninstalling windows updates did not get QB working.  I have QB on another system partition and on a Win 7 laptop.  I'll keep the other Win 10 disconnected from the web so it can't update and Win 7 is at life end so it will work as it is now.  I may try updating from QB 2011 to a more current version but don't want to spend money for what the OpenSource people offer for free.  It's better to give OpenSource a donation than support the likes of QB & MS.  I'll start looking for secondary utilities to help me migrate to something more user respectful.  bleep Intuit and Microsoft.  They both have become like a virus.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

Win 7 is at life end so it will work as it is now

Purely for information Win 7 is not 'end of life' until January 2020. It has reached the end of product support by MS which means they are no longer updating it as a product and if you have a problem with Win 7 it will do you no good to phone MS, but it will continue to receive security updates and patches until January 2020.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users