Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Files From Laptop w/Win 7 to One with Win 10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

The laptop I'm on right now has Windows 7 Home Premium. Tomorrow I will be receiving a new Acer with Window 10. What is the easiest, simplest (most dumbed down) way of transferring everything from this one to the new one? I understand that Windows Easy Transfer must be between two machines with the same OS, so, apparently, that's out. Thanks in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

Hi:

It would help to know what you mean by "everything".

I presume you mean your DATA (documents, videos, pictures, music, etc.).

There are many ways to do that.   The "simplest" might be a direct copy/paste of those folders to a USB external hard drive and then to the new computer.  There are ways to do it through the cloud (OneDrive and third-party applications, such as Carbonite).  And there are other strategies, as well, but not all file transfer tools work under Win10.

A Google search of "migrating data from Windows 7 to Windows 10" or "moving my data to a new computer" should turn up several approaches.

You would not transfer the OS.

And, for best results, you would not transfer installed programs or settings, especially between Win7 and Win10.

The safest and cleanest thing to do would be to install all your programs from scratch, using fresh copies of the installers/setup files from the software publisher's own website.

If the programs are licensed, you may need to first deactivate the license and uninstall the program from the old computer before you install and activate on the new one.

Bottom line: it might be best to research this a bit via a standard internet search engine (and/or perhaps the tutorials here or at other fora).

There is no one single "best" way to accomplish the migration and you'll need to decide what works best for you.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 01 December 2016 - 10:06 AM.

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

Sorry. By "everything", I meant everything that would be transferred had I been able to use Windows Easy Transfer. I did it between two laptops which both had Windows 7 earlier this week and it went quickly and smoothly. I've got a Seagate 1 T external hard drive. So then, are you saying that if I go down the left side of my  Libraries menu and drag and drop every category into my external hard drive, that will accomplish the same thing as if I had been able to use Windows Easy Transfer? Is there anywhere else I should go to transfer the same info to my external what Easy Transfer would accomplish? Aside from the Libraries, I wouldn't know what else to transfer. Easy Transfer even transferred my wallpaper and icons, as well as every program I have in the taskbar. This is helping. Thanks. 

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

Hi:

It looks as if you now have a duplicate, working thread on this subject here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/633735/looking-for-the-equivalent-of-easy-transfer-between-win-7-win-10/

So, to reduce confusion/duplication/redundancy, it might be best to continue the discussion there.

Cheers,

MM

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

Ok. Sorry. 

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

As you have another open topic on this issue I will close this one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users