Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to revert back to Win 10 Home

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

Greetings and happy holidays, ok I need advise I originally had win 10 Home( with digital product key) someone(family member) messed with my pc and "upgraded" to win 10 Pro( no activation key what so ever) Now(complete with watermark) windows keeps telling me I need to activate this product (I do not want to purchase a key) Someone had mentioned I could download Win 10 activator and get any version of win 10 activated. Don't want to do this if it's going to cause more problems. Already tried to restore but no restore point was created before this was done(upgrading) Is there anyway I can revert back to my version (without loosing everything) Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Unfortunately I know of no way you can revert from Pro back to Home after the upgrade. You will need to reinstall all your programs. Backup your personal data and any browser bookmarks including email if you have an email client before reinstalling Home.

Use the Media Creation Tool.

In the future I suggest creating a complete disk image to an external USB drive after doing a clean install and reinstalling all your programs and Security Updates. This would allow you to restore the image in case the computer no longer booted or the hard drive failed. Create the bootable medai each of the programs offers. Creating new images after a major update of Windows 10 is a good habit to get into. You can have multiple images on the same external drive.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper

Easeus Todo Backup 

#3 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Unfortunately I know of no way you can revert from Pro back to Home after the upgrade. You will need to reinstall all your programs. Backup your personal data and any browser bookmarks including email if you have an email client before reinstalling Home.

Use the Media Creation Tool.

In the future I suggest creating a complete disk image to an external USB drive after doing a clean install and reinstalling all your programs and Security Updates. This would allow you to restore the image in case the computer no longer booted or the hard drive failed. Create the bootable medai each of the programs offers. Creating new images after a major update of Windows 10 is a good habit to get into. You can have multiple images on the same external drive.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper

Easeus Todo Backup 

Thnx for replying but not being able to do something isn't an option for me.  There is a solution to every problem. Would it be possible for me to down grade?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

I know of no way to downgrade. Hopefully somebody else on the forum has a solution.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

This might work for Windows 10: Downgrade: Change Windows 7 Ultimate to Premium or Professional

Save that as a last resort, as I have no idea if it will work for 10.

According to Andre De Costa of Microsoft Answers:

You will need to start from a base qualifying license Windows 8.1 Core, Windows 7 Home Premium, Home Basic or Starter edition then ensure it is activated, updated and perform a reservation which will entitle you to a free upgrade to Windows 10 Home. You can't simply just downgrade unless you are entitled to do so.

It looks like the best method is to backup your files, reinstall Windows 7/8 with a valid license, and then re-upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

#6 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

Greetings and happy holidays, ok I need advise I originally had win 10 Home( with digital product key) someone(family member) messed with my pc and "upgraded" to win 10 Pro( no activation key what so ever) Now(complete with watermark) windows keeps telling me I need to activate this product (I do not want to purchase a key) Someone had mentioned I could download Win 10 activator and get any version of win 10 activated. Don't want to do this if it's going to cause more problems. Already tried to restore but no restore point was created before this was done(upgrading) Is there anyway I can revert back to my version (without loosing everything) Thanks for the help

Again greetings,( Quoting my own topic this is funny) Right now I'm at a stalemate, everyone is giving advice(all bad) in "trying " to help, someone hit the  restore to an earlier version  (or something on that order) now the pc is locked to were I can't even get to the safe mode to try and restore the administrator password(the password I was using was incorrect so I contacted MS and I reset it and it's still locked) Now MS says I need a password reset tool to gain access to fix everything. The things they(MS) told me to do I can't do without the password. to get into the pc. As always any help is appreciated and thnx :killcomp:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

bobby,

The trend should be clear by now:  there is no way to do what you want to do and, in addition, you've added new complications about the state of the PC itself.

You may be able to get access to the user data that's on the machine's hard drive by connecting that drive via USB cable to another Win10 machine logged in as a user with administrator privilege.  Here are two articles regarding doing so:

After you've done that and have the user data somewhere that you can reload it from you will have to create the Windows 10 install media for Windows 10 Home and do a fresh install.

There is no quick, easy, and "comfortable" way out of this.  You're throwing good effort after bad hoping to find some silver bullet.

Edited by britechguy, 08 December 2016 - 01:56 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:08 PM

bobby,

The trend should be clear by now:  there is no way to do what you want to do and, in addition, you've added new complications about the state of the PC itself.

You may be able to get access to the user data that's on the machine's hard drive by connecting that drive via USB cable to another Win10 machine logged in as a user with administrator privilege.  Here are two articles regarding doing so:

After you've done that and have the user data somewhere that you can reload it from you will have to create the Windows 10 install media for Windows 10 Home and do a fresh install.

There is no quick, easy, and "comfortable" way out of this.  You're throwing good effort after bad hoping to find some silver bulle

Have you actually read  the thread? Thnx

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

I've actually read it, and considered its contents.  Would that others would do the same.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users