Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Linux Mint better or should i stay with Windows 7 ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

Yes i know they both have their pros and cons.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

Define better ........ what's better for one may not be so for others.

What you get with Mint is a fully formed and fully supported OS that is versatile and easy to use. It will do most things that Windows 7 does, but of itself it will not run Windows based programs, so if you are dependant on such programs then you may want to stay with Windows 7.

There is of course the option of using Wine to enable you to use Windows programs within Linux, however the experience of doing that is not always as good as you might want it to be, and can be a bit hit and miss, dependant on the program you're wanting to run.

Many people choose to dual-boot their machines, so that they can choose either Windows or Linux, and therefore get the both of both worlds, and if you're not certain as to which OS you want (Windows 7 or Mint) then that is probably going to be the best option for you, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people here willing to help you to do that.

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Define better ........ what's better for one may not be so for others.

What you get with Mint is a fully formed and fully supported OS that is versatile and easy to use. It will do most things that Windows 7 does, but of itself it will not run Windows based programs, so if you are dependant on such programs then you may want to stay with Windows 7.

There is of course the option of using Wine to enable you to use Windows programs within Linux, however the experience of doing that is not always as good as you might want it to be, and can be a bit hit and miss, dependant on the program you're wanting to run.

Many people choose to dual-boot their machines, so that they can choose either Windows or Linux, and therefore get the both of both worlds, and if you're not certain as to which OS you want (Windows 7 or Mint) then that is probably going to be the best option for you, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people here willing to help you to do that.

theres a reason im asking if i should remove windows and install mint or stay with windows

Twitter

Website

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

inkoalawetrust, please explain what you mean by "better," as Gary has asked you to do.

#5 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

inkoalawetrust, please explain what you mean by "better," as Gary has asked you to do.

i have no idea im just asking because i cant install them both

Twitter

Website

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

You will have to explain what "better" means to you, for people to be able to offer advice.

If the reason you say you cannot install them both, is that we advised you not to try installing Ubuntu because you did not have any means to back-up your system, and you didn't want to take the risk of anything going wrong, then in this instance I would offer the same advice regarding installing Mint.

Do you now have a separate drive, with sufficient space to back up your system?

#7 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

You will have to explain what "better" means to you, for people to be able to offer advice.

If the reason you say you cannot install them both, is that we advised you not to try installing Ubuntu because you did not have any means to back-up your system, and you didn't want to take the risk of anything going wrong, then in this instance I would offer the same advice regarding installing Mint.

Do you now have a separate drive, with sufficient space to back up your system?

no and i dont even have any money either 

can you atleast tell me what are the pros and cons of using linux mint or windows 7

Twitter

Website

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

no and i dont even have any money either

In that case, you should stay with Windows 7.

can you atleast tell me what are the pros and cons of using linux mint or windows 7

Please start a new thread with the title: What are the pros and cons of using Linux Mint or Windows 7?

This thread is closed to avoid confusion.

Edited by Al1000, 01 December 2016 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users