Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp sp3 new wireless adapter on dell optiplex 735 wireless connection no internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrH2751

DrH2751

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:54 AM

I needed to have a wireless connection to this desktop computer.

I installed a TP-LINK Imodel # TL-WN71ND  Wireless N PCI express Adapter.

I have a strong signal and a notification "wireless network connection 8 ASUS,Speed 72.2 Mbs,Signal strength excellent, status connected.

All other smartphones and laptops connect with no problem to the Asus network with internet access

Problem: no internet on the dell computer with the the new wireless adapter.

when I check the ipconfig /all, I see that Media state ...Media disconnected

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Basement
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-B9-20-EE-1A

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 8:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless N PCI Expre
ss Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 84-16-F9-50-06-92
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.83
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 01, 2016 5:33:02
I have rebooted my computer into safe mode with networking - still no internet
I have downloaded Winsock and TCP repair utility and followed instructions - still no internet
I have uninstalled the malwaerbytes and super anti spyware programs only using windows defender and firewall
I have entered the DNS Servers 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 as some have suggested 
If i ping 2.2.2.2 Packets sent =4, received =0 lost =4
Does not work on IE or Chrome
I turned on mobile hotspot from my iphone, was able to connect wirelessly from another laptop, but not from this desktop 

Edited by DrH2751, 01 December 2016 - 07:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I would try the following steps if the previous step did not work. 

1) Run the following commands if you did not reset Winsock and TCP/IP using the command prompt in an admin account. Reboot

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt  

2) Download Windows Repair and only check the Network Repair box.

3) If the adapter came with software and you installed it uninstall everything. You can confirm this is your chipset by going to device manager and right clicking the Wifi adapter, selecting Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. The first line with the Vendor and Device ID should be PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002D  

Here is your Hardware Specs.

If it is a match then Go here and download the AR9227 driver. Version 10.0.0.274

Use an adblocker on your browser. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. There will be 6 files in the folder. Delete the three with a x suffix. These are for 64bit XP. 

The driver will need to be installed using Device Manager. After uninstalling your previous driver and any TPlink software you should have a yellow exclamation mark next to your adapter. See the following guide but do not install the driver easy software. This is just a guide to show how to install the driver using Device Manager if you have not done it before. Point to the inf file in the unzipped folder. 

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-manually-install-a-driver-in-windows-xp/

After installing the drive you should now have a Wifi icon in your system tray. Provide your WPA2 PSK after selecting your Wifi network and you should be able to connect. If not then I would RMA the card.

#3 DrH2751

DrH2751
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thank you, this solved my problem.  I believe it was due to downloading the windows repair utility and checking off the network repair box.  I believe I had taken care of the "netsh" commands when I used the winsock and TCP repair utility.  It is difficult to ascertain what step "cured" the problem as I did not try wireless browsing until I was done with all of your recommendations.

Edited by DrH2751, 01 December 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Your Welcome,

Can you please post which of the steps worked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users