Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is the cheapest way to turn a TV into a smart tv?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:41 AM

I just got a new TV and it was advertised as a smart TV but it wasn't.  I know that there are a few options to turn it into a smart Tv but I wanted to post here and find the most cost effective way.  Thanks in advance for your help.  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:00 AM

Hi

You could try a Raspberry Pi, They are very cheap.

What if you could turn your dumb TV into a smart TV for only about $35-$45?

Make any Dumb TV a Smart TV - Instructables

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

If you don't like to/want to go the more "tinker"/"requires work" route of a Raspberry Pi, then there are plenty of "off the shelf" consumer streaming devices such as Fire TV, Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.

There are then many levels of streaming devices that range from about $30 (for a Roku Express on Amazon) on up. It will depend on what features you want (i.e. do you want 4K? etc) and what streaming services you want access to and what type of connection to the TV you have (typically HDMI if a newer TV)...and how much you want to pay. For example, an AppleTV is the only option that will allow access to iTunes content (exception being music, which is now sold in unprotected form that can be used with any device), but then does not have an Amazon video or audio app.

The cheapest options that I am aware of will be the Roku Express ($30), Roku Streaming Stick ($50), FireTV Stick ($40), and Chromecast ($35). Note that all of these options only use an HDMI connection.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

And they require subscriptions to the services like Netflix.  Roku is the best imo.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

And they require subscriptions to the services like Netflix.

As would many of the "apps" built into an actual smart TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users