Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

12% chance of Solar megastorm by 2020

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

There's a twelve percent chance of a solar megastorm by 2020 and it could take years for us to recover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz0oCGCWOWk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:18 AM

Thats ok we only have a few days left anyway

NASA Confirm׃ DECEMBER, 2016 is when NIBIRU PLANET X will convert Earth to an ICEBALL Please share!

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

HOLY  CLIMATE CHANGE !!!!!

There is one thing for sure on this planet, it is ever changing.

We basically know NOTHING about how this planet works.  Red jets, blue sprites that accompany lightning offer a big clue into how this planet fits into the solar system and its comparison to an atom, with a nucleus as the sun and the planets as electrons in the different valence bands.  Presence of moons might lead us to more insight into what makes up matter in this universe.  Since the beginning of weather recording, instruments have become more accurate, so accurate that we have to consider how accurate those older recorded events are.   Global warming but an iceball in December??

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:29 PM

I need a tinfoil hat !  Preferably a heavy duty one.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:43 PM

Tinfoil hat or no, I like Chris and will speak to our Alien overlords about evacuating him and his family from the Earth just before its destroyed,

Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:13 PM

I've got my tinfoil hat on  :)

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

I wouldn't try putting an exact chance on us being struck by a big coronal mass ejection, but it is a huge risk. There would be wisdom in designing a toughened up infrastructure so that this sort of thing can be survived, having spare power generators disconnected from the grid but ready to come online after a disaster, having the ability to quickly shut off the grid for a few minutes at the peak of this kind of disaster so that the worst surges could be kept form reaching electronics at the generating or consuming end... it would ofcourse be more expensive this way, but what's a cost inflation, even a large percentage increase, when civilisation is dependent on it? In general electronic devices which are not connected to any long wires (as those are where damaging currents can be induced) and are shielded by any kind of faraday cage should survive in all but the most extreme coronal mass ejections and subsequent geomagnetic storms, it's the long wires of transmission and data grids where the risk lies. Optical media will ofcourse survive such events just fine, One suspects flash based media would do ok too, the problem will be finding a surviving computer to plug it into, and a surviving power grid to run that computer from.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

RP88   I don't think even a faraday cage would be all that protective.  A CME is packed with particles that penetrate everything.  Yes. the accompanying magnetic wave would induce voltages that would cripple the generating stations transformers.  The waves and particles  would render any solid state device inoperable, from car ignitions (a lot to be said about older classic cars with distributor points) to computers and simple logic switches.  How much does it take to create havoc, look back to the northeast US and see the widespread outage from just a small event, it only damaged two transformers, but knocked out power over a huge area.  A CME coming off the sun at just the right point and the right time could be devastating but the odds are it won't happen, but nothing in this universe is certain except change.

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

There is an old doco called "Electronic Armagedon" which shows what happened when they started letting nukes blow up above our atmosphere.

Long story short, it mimics the suns radiation and melts transistors etc but they already have planes flying (Airforce One) that can take even some of the largest attacks from space.

This is the most deadly way to kill people in this day and age of terrorism because we rely on our infrastructure being run from computers and networks interconnecting to grids which would be smashed from a large surge of electricity.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 04 December 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

Post #8, those particles in a CME rarely reach the ground. They get absorbed within the atmosphere mostly, and deflected by our magnetic fields even though those fields are somewhat weakened by CME events. The risk is from the fields which can penetrate to ground level when the Earth's overall magnetic field is weakened in this way. Those fields induce currents, the currents damage sensitive electronics. With very long wires the induced currents are even greater, so in those cases even robust electronic components (like transformers) can be wrecked. Faraday cages should offer some protection from such fields. An EMP (as mentioned but not named in post #9) works on a similar principle but generally has stronger fields than would be experienced on Earth's surface during a CME, the key reason for the greater strength is that the effects are concentrated into a tighter area so can be more intense. These kind of dangers to electronics are definitely some of the greatest threats to civilisation, we have become so dependent but been too focused on short term profit to think to make systems more robust.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:52 PM

I think we should be pressuring our political leads to prepare for such a disaster, because the price for not preparing for this type of disaster would cost us a much larger price than being prepared.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users