Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 4L paper jam problem, not due to sticking solenoids or worn rollers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:39 PM

I have a Hewlett Packard 4L printer that’s suddenly developed a frequent paper jam problem.

The printer is of course about 20 years old, but it has seen only very light use.  I bought it secondhand three years ago.  Its first owner had used it very little, and I have printed about 13,000 pages on it.

The D-Roller and registration roller look like new, with no cracking or wear.

About two years ago, it developed a paper jamming problem that fit the profile of sticking solenoids due to residual adhesive.  I disassembled the printer, cleaned the surfaces of both solenoids, put it back together, and had no problems with paper jams since then, until about a month ago.

Here is the way it is jamming:

If I try to print a multiple page job, usually (though not always), the printer will jam with the first page about 2/3 printed and the second page just being taken up out of the tray.

If I try to print a one page job from the tray, usually (though not always) it will print fine.

If I manually feed the paper one page at a time, waiting for the previous page to be delivered to the output tray on top, then it never jams.

I initially thought the problem was due to paper that had gotten slightly curled in storage somehow.  But when I got some new, very flat paper, it jammed the same way.

I have cleaned the D Roller and the registration roller, with no effect on the jamming.  They were very clean to start with.

From searching online, it seems the two most likely causes are solenoids sticking due to residual adhesive, and the D roller being worn, cracked, or dirty.  But neither of these seem to be the case.  I removed all the adhesive on the solenoids, and there is no other source that could put adhesive on them as far as I know.

What else could I try, either to diagnose or fix the jamming problem?  Please don’t tell me to buy a new printer; I have good reasons for trying to keep this one working.

Thanks,
Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:06 AM

These units have a turn-around slot that defies cleaning when errant labels get peeled off the carrier.  The slot needs to be cleaned with acetone to break down the glue.  It does mean the most complete dis-assembly I think I've ever done of an HP printer but you can't just toss it.   Users of label stock should insure the freshness as when older stock is fed through the turnaround, they tend to peel off and remain in the slot.

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Thanks, but I have never printed labels with this printer.  It worked fine printing plain copy paper for the last two years, and suddenly developed this problem.

Any other ideas?

Roger

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Maybe some of the comments here will help unless you have already seen this page.

http://fixyourownprinter.com/posts/65924

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users