Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp laptop could not start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rong23

rong23

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

This happened when i was browsing on my laptop and then suddenly it hanged. I press the power button to shut it off and on again. But this time it cannot be on. It is stuck at the "starting windows" screen.

After that i ran hardware test and memory test but both passed. Then i went on to system recovery, i believe it wiped off everything on the laptop. It lead me to a screen which says restoration incomplete. I could not proceed from there anymore. The options were "save log, details and retry". I pressed retry and the same thing keep happening again.

Does anyone know what is going on with my laptop? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

Sounds like one of your components failed.

Please specify your make and model of laptop.

> Try booting into Safe Mode. If you can, there is  a software corruption. I do not think this will help, but it is worth a try.
> Try to boot into your BIOS screen. If you can, set the BIOS as directed below.

> Test your hard drive:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Short Test. IF the short test FAILS, then run the long test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice.

Please Post the results of all the tests above in your next reply.

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 December 2016 - 12:02 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 rong23

rong23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:32 AM

I suppose BIOS screen is pressing ESC when starting laptop and then F10 right?

Im in it alrdy but how do i download things from here?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

If you are in the BIOS screen, set your 1st Boot Device=CD, 2nd Boot Device=hard drive. Then the computer will first boot from the CD drive and the Seatools disk that you created will boot and start running. If there is nothing in the CD drive it will then go to the Hard Drive and try to boot Windows. You do not download anything from the BIOS screen.

After you have done that, then follow the rest of the instructions above.

[EDIT]: accessing the BIOS can be different for each computer; usually tapping DELETE while booting will work, other computers are different. See your manual, or try different F-keys if you are having problems.

Edited by ranchhand_, 03 December 2016 - 08:42 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users