Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations for a new computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 camae

camae

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

I need guidance/help for the purchase of a computer that can handle my needs. Currently I am using a Toshiba Sat L55-A5226 and the core i5 doesn't seem to be operating as it should. What I'm looking for is a computer with enough strength etc that can handle Photoshop, Photoshop Lightroom, Corel Paintshop pro x8  Word 2010 and Legacy 8.0 a genealogy program. My current computer keeps locking up and I have to do a hard shutdown and startup. I thought a gaming computer might be better but they are so expensive and I don't do games. Any suggestions please and the price needs to be well under 1000.00 and preferably a laptop if possible

The requirements for my photoshop program are 

[background=#4080ff]These have to be the Minimum requirements System requirements [/background]
Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 with latest service pack 64-bit editions;
Intel or AMD 1.5 GHz or faster processor with SSE2 supported (multi-core processor recommended);
4 GB RAM ;
2 GB hard disk space ;
1366 x 768 resolution with 24-bit color display DirectX 9 or higher compatible video adapter with latest driver; Internet connection required for online features and tutorial videos;
Windows compatible CD/DVD drive for installation

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:31 PM

I've been buying the HP ProBook 470 G3's recently. I can recommend them. I think the G2's were better in terms of HP junkware, but that stuff can be removed.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

photoshop program

What's the program? That makes a huge difference on what to get.

Some can't use GPU acceleration, and getting a laptop with a dedicated GPU would be a waste of money for it.

Some do use GPU acceleration, but only work with vary certain GPUs. Getting a laptop with a unsupported one is useless. 

Some don't multi-thread well, and so dumping the extra money into a laptop with a quad core CPU would be a waste. 

The software you're using plays a large role in what laptop would be worthwhile to get. 

Edited by SEANIA, 02 December 2016 - 12:52 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 camae

camae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

These are the major programs I use along with regular computer usage like browsing the internet, Netflix. Facebook etc.

The system requirements for Office Home and Student 2010 

500 MHz processor is the minimum requirement 
2 GHz processor or faster is recommended for certain features 
256 MB RAM minimum 
512 MB recommended for graphics features, Outlook Instant Search, and other advanced functionality 
1 GB RAM or more recommended for OneNote Audio Search. Grammar and contextual spelling features also require 1 GB memory. 
3.0 GB available disk space 

Operating system requirements are outlined as follows 
Windows 7 
Windows Vista with SP1 
Windows XP (must have SP3) (32-bit) 
Windows Server 2008 
Windows Server 2003 R2 with MSXML 6.0, or later 

32 bit or 64 bit operating systems are support but Microsoft outlines the following on their product website: 

This product includes both 32- and 64-bit versions. We recommend the 32-bit version, which runs great on both 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows. People who routinely use very large documents or spreadsheets that need more than 2 GB of memory may want to run the 64-bit version, but many common add-ins for Office don't run correctly in the 64-bit edition.

Video card requirements outlined that graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX 9.0c graphics card with 64 MB or more video memory. 

Browser recommendations are Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or later (32-bit browser only) 

The product page also specifies that Microsoft OneNote features require Windows Desktop Search 3.0, Windows Media Player 9, Microsoft ActiveSync 4.1, microphone, audio output device, video recording device, TWAIN-compatible digital camera, or scanner; sharing notebooks requires users to be on the same network. 

The site also indicates that certain advanced collaboration functionality requires connectivity to Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 or to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. 

Legacy Family Tree is a Windows program. The system requirements are:

• Intel Pentium class computer (this includes AMD, Celeron, etc.)
• VGA or higher display set at 800x600 resolution (or higher)
• Windows 98 or higher
• 210 MB available space. An additional 455 MB required for the Geo Location Database (optional).
• 512 MB RAM. (1 GB or more recommended)
• Mouse
• Internet Explorer 7 or higher to access the Mapping features.
• Internet connection recommended, and required to access some features such as Mapping, Searching the Internet, FamilySearch tools, and Research Guidance links.

The requirements for my Photoshop Lightroom 5 program are  
These have to be the Minimum requirements System requirements
Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 with latest service pack 64-bit editions;
Intel or AMD 1.5 GHz or faster processor with SSE2 supported (multi-core processor recommended);
4 GB RAM ;
2 GB hard disk space ;
1366 x 768 resolution with 24-bit color display DirectX 9 or higher compatible video adapter with latest driver; Internet connection required for online features and tutorial videos;
Windows compatible CD/DVD drive for installation

Photoshop Elements 12 system requirements
-1.6GHz or faster processor (including single-core support)
-Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Vista with Service Pack 2, Windows 7, or Windows 8 (limited Camera Raw functionality on Windows XP)
-1GB of RAM (2GB for HD video functions)
-4GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
-Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
-1024 x 768 display resolution
-Microsoft DirectX 9 compatible display driver
-DVD-ROM drive
-Internet connection required for product activation

PaintShop Pro 8X Ultimate System requirements
Minimum Requirements
  • Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7 with the latest service pack (64-bit or 32-bit editions)
  • Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz, Core i3 or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz, or higher
  • 2 GB of RAM or higher (minimum 4 GB for Windows 64bit)
  • 128 MB VGA VRAM
  • 1 GB of available hard-disk space required (2 GB recommended)
  • 1280 x 768 resolution with 16-bit color display (1366 x 768 resolution with 24-bit or higher color display recommended)
  • DirectX 9 or higher compatible video adapter with the latest driver
  • Internet Explorer version 10 or higher
  • Internet connection required for online features and tutorial videos

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Ok. Checked their websites, and others, for various un-listed requirements. 

Something like this was the best I could find for sub 1000$. It has a 1080p screen, a CPU that's twice as fast as the one in your current laptop, and a dedicated graphics card that's supported by the various software you use for workload acceleration. It has a load of added features your current laptop lacks to, but nothing I think you'd care to much about. 

The only two real downsides to it is that it uses a TN screen as apposed to a IPS screen (worse color accuracy/depth), and it doesn't use a SSD as its main drive. However it'd be hard to find something with those two things as well, if at all, for under 1000$. All things considered I'd think it fits what you want really well. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#6 camae

camae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

"The only two real downsides to it is that it uses a TN screen as apposed to a IPS screen (worse color accuracy/depth), and it doesn't use a SSD as its main drive. However it'd be hard to find something with those two things as well, if at all, for under 1000$. All things considered I'd think it fits what you want really well."

Thank you for taking the time to help me! Would that difference in color accuracy/depth be meaningful enough to affect my photo editing abilities? Or would it apply mainly to colors in gaming?

I'm not certain about any difference because I don't game on my computer.  I'll google the difference between the TN and IPS screen too.  

I have to admit I don't even know what an SSD drive is either, I'm 60 yrs old and only started using a computer because it makes Genealogy record keeping easier and I am Disabled and do photo editing work for extra income. I'm a former (film) photographer. 

#7 camae

camae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

I watched a video on youtube that explained the difference between the monitors and looked at the reviews on the computer you linked to the ratings make me feel a bit shaky about it. I hate to bother you but could you make a rec on a computer that does have the SSD drive with or without the IPS screen. It does seem that the IPS screen is better for photo editing but my budget is very tight.

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Sorry, had some stuff to do. 

could you make a rec on a computer that does have the SSD drive with or without the IPS screen

Yes you can. I mean obviously you are now to some degree. Unless you're asking me to record video of both those things- in which case I'm not sure I could do that.

An SSD isn't a requirement by any means. It makes everything feel faster, or more "snappy" as some put it, but it has little bearing on the computers ability to do what it is you're asking. 

Would that difference in color accuracy/depth be meaningful enough to affect my photo editing abilities? Or would it apply mainly to colors in gaming?

It's important since you don't want to over saturate the picture just because your screen is dull. Also is important to get the screen adjusted for that same reason. just because the screen is high quality, doesn't mean the settings on it are right to take full advantage of what it can do- meaning you'll still end up over saturating the picture if the screens saturation is set to low. 

IPS screens, in general, can display a much wider range of color over TN screens. Can think of it like comparing the 64 count box of crayons compared to the 8 count box of crayons. You can still color everything with the 8 count box that you could with the 64 count, but the 64 count is going to look better and more accurate.

Side note: IPS screens are worse for gaming normally. People just like them for gaming because of how pretty they can make a game look. Going from a 1,000:1 contrast ratio (average TN) to a 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio (average IPS) makes just about everything look better. 

looked at the reviews on the computer you linked to the ratings make me feel a bit shaky about it. 

If you give me a few hours I'll look some more, for one with a IPS screen mainly. I'll see if I can come up with a few different options. Will be tough though. 

Edited by SEANIA, 07 December 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

wow umm... i don't know how, but I stumbled across this immediately. (click here)

#10 camae

camae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Wow that was fast,the reviews are very good. There are only two left in stock so I'll have to make up my mind quickly.  

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:46 PM

A few other options for you if I am understanding correctly

HP ENVY

Dell

Dell 15

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 camae

camae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

Thank you pcpunk, those computers look great but the price tags are beyond my means.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

That was a starting point as you said well below 1000.00, maybe you should say below 800.00 LOL..just kidding.  You can always scroll to the bottom of those pages for more ideas.  Like THIS ONE.  Dell is very good.  It only has this Video "Intel® HD Graphics 620" and I don't know if that is good enough for your needs, it is IPS though.  And "512GB solid state drive (SSD)"

Here is another cheaper  Dell

These are 2 in ones but you may like that if doing graphics stuff.  You may have to sacrifice a little performance to get the IPS and an SSD.  Although...I was not looking specifically for SSD's that's just what came up.

Some pretty good deals now, but Black Friday would have been better for you.  One of my customers just bought the Envy, but with only 12GB of RAM and not the 16 one, it's very nice.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 camae

camae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for all the help you're offering I think I made a stupid assumption when I listed the requirements for each of the programs that I will be using, other things didn't occur to me like a touchscreen I don't want one I either use my mouse or a tablet thing I have. I'm sorry if I've made this more difficult.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

No worries here, I may have not considered all the info either.  camae has chosen the closest to what you want then.  I was just throwing a few things out there based on the need for IPS, price and Power, not much work involved for me.  I also prefer the Dell and HP over Lenovo.  Not to say Lenovo isn't good, just personal preference.  One thing I do love about Lenovo Laptops is they have Large UP and DOWN Arrow Keys where the HP and Dell have smaller keys for Up and Down.  They are a little harder to find without looking first.  You can rest your hand on the bigger keys and find them without looking.  I'll leave another HP also just to consider.  It's not as nice as the Lenovo, less RAM and no SSD, but more storage...1TB, non-touch.  It's also a little cheaper if that is important.  You may need more RAM though, that's something I don't know.

HP Pavilion

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users