Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlimited virus removal tool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drschwartz

drschwartz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

I'm retired and considering starting a business to help folks with their technology in their homes. One issue, of course, is addressing when they've become infected with a virus. Is there a virus removal tool that would allow me to scan and remove viruses from a client's machine and then move on to another client's machine to do the same rather than agreeing to a license that limits me to X machines?

TIA,

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

There are many free tools that you can use to remove malware. There are many available from this site here

Unfortunately there isn't a point and shoot application that removes all malware. That does not exist. It is an education process to learn how to remove malware completely, one does not simply just run a program.

There are opportunities to be trained for free in malware removal here and at other sites across the internet. It requires some dedication and persistence as well as a willingness to help others in your own time.

Best wishes

John

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

See the List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion in these topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 drschwartz

drschwartz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

Thanks TsVk! but my question was about virus removal, not malware removal.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

A virus is just one type of malware.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048261/understanding-tech-language-the-difference-between-malware-and-a-virus.html

I do still see "viruses" occasionally though. I got a copy of a file worm on my email server the other month. It was a while before that since I saw the last one, maybe last year. Pretty rare.

Edited by TsVk!, 30 November 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

Malware is a broad and all encompassing term in today's lexicon. All viruses are considered malware but not all malware is a virus.

What is Malware?

Malware' is an umbrella term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software, including computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware, and other malicious programs. It can take the form of executable code, scripts, active content, and other software. Malware is often disguised as, or embedded in, non-malicious files. As of 2011 the majority of active malware threats were worms or trojans rather than viruses.

#7 drschwartz

drschwartz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the info but doing a web search, viruses and malware seem to be addressed separately at least conceptually albeit tools address both.

Thanks agin!!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:30 PM

Yes if you do a specific search you can still find information which addresses them separately. Google stores everything...good, bad, outdated and even misinformation.

One other point...folks seldom encounter viruses these days as it is not practical for cyber-criminals to use them on a grand scale. Malware writers would much rather target a large audience through social engineering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users