Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privacy optimized anti virus options

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 d4d5c4

d4d5c4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

I've become uncomfortable with the fact that my antivirus (AVG) has so much access to my information. Perhaps I'm a tin foil hatter but that feels like too much for me to trust any one company with, regardless of their reputation or incentives. I admit I don't know the details of how this stuff works, but even the names of my files and urls I visit I consider private and don't wish to share.

Is there an antivirus that is optimized for privacy? One that is structured to make it difficult for the company to violate your privacy, even if it wanted or was being compelled to?

How else can I stay protected from unwanted software without trusting a company to so much of my info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 d4d5c4

d4d5c4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

This article was helpful: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/antivirus-tracking-youd-surprised-sends/

AhnLab and emsisoft send the least information according to them.

Still a lot of trust involved in, I'd rather there be an actual obstacle between these companies and my privacy.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:46 PM

I was going to recommend Spybot AntiBeacon [free version], however, I'm not sure it would be useful in this situation; 

Edited by RolandJS, 30 November 2016 - 02:46 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 d4d5c4

d4d5c4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

That looks like a good tool for other privacy concerns. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

There is reason to be concerned about data collection and your privacy with some anti-virus vendors.

The Emsisoft Blog provides some good advice in regards to this..

Antivirus software: protecting your files at the price of your privacy

AV-Comparatives recommends reading the privacy policy and EULA of vendors carefully, so that users can make an informed decision. They state: Users should also avoid being lured into using free products that require submitting personal data (data mining is a business model too, as well as the inclusion of third-party toolbars which collect information on their own).

Privacy options we provide our users

With the recent release of our version 10 protection product series, we are once again one step ahead of our competitors in terms of privacy. You can find all settings that may have an impact on your privacy in a newly formed Privacy settings dialog. There you can choose whether you want to allow us to create statistics based on detected malware, or configure your participation in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network, which helps to improve the malware detection quality for all users. Options for disabling SSL in server communication and creating crash reports are included too.

So in addition to reading the vendor's privacy policy and EULA, users need to familiarize themselves with all anti-virus settings to include those related to data collection and privacy regardless of which product they are using. Then, if given the option, turn off or disable those features you don't want.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:Resources to help protect privacy:Tools To protect your browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites:Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

Other Tools To protect your browser, privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites:

#7 d4d5c4

d4d5c4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the info.

Kinda sounds like the answer to my question is "No". I haven't found any antivirus whose privacy protection is built on more than trust.

I trust my neighbors, but I still lock the door!

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

"...I haven't found any antivirus whose privacy protection is built on more than trust..."  I'm interested; tell me more!  I'm thinking that most but not all pay-fors are less privacy-intrusive.  Quietman7 is right about products such as Emsisoft AM [which now includes AV]. 

Edited by RolandJS, 01 December 2016 - 03:12 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:48 AM

i use avira my self and block everything it can do with my firewall, all network connections are blocked from that app though it sometimes still trys to phone home, as well its one of the feu anti virus apps that you can update manually and use on a computer thats not networked or connected to a internet connection ever "like a file server"

my self id stay away from anything cloud based if privacy is more important then fast updates and protection.

in any case 90% of all infections are because of something the user downloaded meaning social engineering attacks, iv setup windows for people that were relly newbies at computers and in under a week the thing was a mess of malware and virus like action, full OS pruge was needed to repair.

in any case updates are just for things that are on a black/white list, for unknown attacks it has a heuristic detection system that if set on max its relly hiper and good that is if you dont mind it thinking everything is a virus lol.

for detecting problems with out updates it has a artifical intelligence and is independent from black/white list setups.

imho artifical intelligence is the way to go for anti-vuris software over all for the following resions

"A" can deal with unknown attacks

"B" dousen't need updates offten

"C" dousen't need a internet connection

btw with this old stile setup dont forget that you have to help out and send known/unknown attacks to avira, because they cant spy on people they all so dont know whats going on unless you help out and tell em, you can manually send up stuff the anti-vuris finds ...i do that at times if i find something good to help out.

Edited by shadow_647, 03 December 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

Welcome to BC shadow_647.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:01 AM

Off topic:

Tnx a lot quietman means a lot to me, use to love forums but stoped for a wile ...im middle aged going on golden years computer repair tech/video gamer/overclocker with 35+ years of understanding thats looking to once more chat it up some on the topic of comptuers, maybe help some people out and be helped at the same time, and i still use winxp and a CRT with massive mods.

im big on computer seciuty, privacy,and hardware, you could call me a white hat if you want or a tinfoil hat lol whatever works for you, i like fixing computers not braking em, though i was kind of a punk in my win95~98 years.

Use to run servers from home and got pounded by black hat hackers,lost like $3000 in hardware and close to 30 Hdd worth of data, only had backups for like 10% of what was lost in DVD's

since that happened "meny meny years ago" i only reserched how to lock down computers and harden em as well as lurn about how to be a real server admin, relly i was scaired to log on the net after that.

didn't know very mouch about cyber warfair till i got hacked and once i did it scaired me off the net for years but im hopeing i can get back on the horse, hard thoguh.

once you get burned hard by what was more or less a voltage virus/bios virus/cyber weapon/perment hardware and software net-nuker you dont forget the lesson.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,778 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Whoever coined the term "Golden Years" should have been committed to an institution. For me it's been more like the "Rust Years"...everything falling apart, cricking and cracking in every joint, chronic pain, poor circulation, etc.

As for lessons learned, our generation never forgots. However, the younger ones seem intent on learning the hard way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users