Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal shown on TV

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 heelsinc

heelsinc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

Hi everyone new to the board.  Hoping you can help me out having a big problem.  I'm using an Alienware X51 with an NVidia graphics card on Windows 10 operating system for gaming.  On my brand new 70 inch Vizio tv when I use the DVI port with a HDMI converter to plug into the HDMI input on the TV I get a "no signal" message.  I rolled back the graphics card driver and got the same message.  I re-updated the drivers to the most current version and it worked for about 30 minutes then dropped the signal and back to the "no signal" message.  The onboard intel graphics HDMI port works fine however for the gaming that I'm using it for it will not work as it is not powerful enough.  The graphics card port DOES work on other TVs.  The Vizio is the brand new TV in the living room and I don't want to become a stowaway and just be in the office when I want to play games so it MUST work on the Vizio!!

So far I have tried a ton of different HDMI cables and they don't work with the computer but will work with other devices.  I know next to nothing about computers so if anyone has any suggestions or instructions please be VERY specific in what I have to do.  I have done some searches on line and this problem seems to come up often but never seems to have the same resolution so I don't really know where to start.

Edited by heelsinc, 30 November 2016 - 03:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

I tried to add this to my first post but it doesn't seem to be showing up.

So far I have tried a ton of different HDMI cables and they don't work with the computer but will work with other devices.  I know next to nothing about computers so if anyone has any suggestions or instructions please be VERY specific in what I have to do.  I have done some searches on line and this problem seems to come up often but never seems to have the same resolution so I don't really know where to start.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

One really - possibly - stupid question. Have you selected the correct HDMI input on the TV ?  No offence intended, but it is surprisng how often silly things like this get overlooked.

You may find this article helpful -

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-hdmi-connection-problems-1846811

Chris Cosgrove

#4 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

:) Yes the correct input is selected.  It worked for 20 minutes then dropped the signal.  It's working again now but in the next 30 minutes I can guarantee it will drop it again.

Edited by heelsinc, 30 November 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#5 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:56 PM

lasted longer then expected but after two hours of working it again dropped the signal.

#6 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

Tried this and it came back and worked again last night but now today it's back to no signal.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

I will see if I can get a more expert opinion. My only experience with connecting computers to TVs is with my wife's laptop, and that works perfectly every time! So no help there.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

Whenever troubleshooting GPU issues with Windows do this first:

First, download the latest Nvidia Drivers

Then, download this: Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller - this is a GPU driver cleaner, it will definitely remove your GPU drivers, unlike official uninstallers. Note: There are some deceptive ads on the forum page.

• Run Wagnard's DDU - it may create a number of files in the same directory, like a .zip file, so you may have to run it in its own folder
  • Run the application, "DDU.exe" I believe is the name
  • Select the "best option", Safe Mode and Reboot
  • After the computer reboots to safe mode, run DDU if it does not open automatically
  • Choose the "best option", clean install and reboot I think it is called
  • After restarting install the AMD driver you downloaded first
  • Restart if prompted

Nevermind. Noticed you tried that already.

Which TV model is it exactly OP?

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

Can you provide the model of the television set?  Odds are the manual for the TV will provide a clue as to the issue.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

OP mentions he/she connects it with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Maybe the DVI signal is not communicating exactly like a pure HDMI connection?

#11 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:12 AM

Hey everyone thanks for trying to help sorry for the late response.  It's a Vizio D Series.  My wife hates keeping manuals which drives me crazy!  I'll try to get the exact model number some how later today.

#12 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

It's a Vizio D70-D3

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

Link to support site.

I tried to download the PDF manual but it would not let me this morning.

#14 heelsinc

heelsinc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

The manual just tells me to select the correct input which it's already on the right one.  

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

It may be a combination of HDCP 2.2 and the DVI to HDMI adapter.  HDCP will break your video if anything in the chain is not HDCP 2.2 compliant.  Have you tried to use all of the different HDMI ports?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users