Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heur.AdvML.B

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AniJanis

AniJanis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hi!

I keep getting alerts from Norton that this (Heur.AdvML. B. ) is being removed on my laptop. It can happen again and again, with little time apart. Its not detected by Malwarebytes. But the alerts keep coming back. I searched for it, and found a topic on Norton community forums, but its not clear if its malware or false positive.

( link: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/heuradvmlb-detected-false-positive-or-not )

Anyway, I cant seem to get rid of it. And today I also had an alert from Microsoft to change my password on my hotmail acc. So any help is appriciated. I'm not very computer savy, nor is English my first language, so please keep that in mind... Thanks for any help! :-)

Edited by AniJanis, 30 November 2016 - 10:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hello I see where Norton says this..

https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2016-051811-2400-99&tabid=3

Heur.AdvML.B is a heuristic detection designed to generically detect malicious files using advanced machine learning technology. A file detected by this detection name is deemed by Symantec to pose a risk to users and is therefore blocked from accessing the computer.

Discovered:

May 18, 2016

Updated:

June 3, 2016 11:44:25 PM

Type:

Trojan, Virus

Infection Length:

Varies

Systems Affected:

Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

You may have arrived at this page either because you have been alerted by your Symantec product about this risk, or you are concerned that your computer has been affected by this risk.

Before proceeding further we recommend that you run a full system scan. If that does not resolve the problem you can try one of the options available below.

FOR NORTON USERS
If you are a Norton product user, we recommend you try the following resources to remove this risk.

Removal ToolIf you have an infected Windows system file, you may need to replace it using the Windows installation CD.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 AniJanis

AniJanis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Ok, thanks! I have Win10, but I'll follow this and see if it works. :-)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:30 AM

Try it.. Let us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 AniJanis

AniJanis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

I started as described to do a full scan (with default settings) -nothing showed up.

Then tried Norton Power Eraser does not work... so no help in this...... Because I clearly have this WIMBoot thing.... :-(

Explained here: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v110082286_EndUserProfile_en_us

Not sure if I should try this recovery tool- my computer is running and does start....?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Ask in WIN 10 you get the right answer on that.

Edited by boopme, 30 November 2016 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users