Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows Defender Compatible with Malwarebytes Premium

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:19 AM

I currently have a laptop with Windows 7, Malwarebytes Premium, and Microsoft Essentials.

In two days I'll be getting a new Acer laptop with Windows 10. I will definitely be installing Malwarebytes Premium. However, Microsoft Essentials is not available for Windows 10. I believe it comes with Windows Defender. Is Windows Defender an adequate replacement for Microsoft Essentials and will it work as well with Malwarebytes Premium and Windows 10 as Microsoft Essentials and Mbytes Premium has with Windows 7?

If not, please suggest other options, such as McAfee. That works with Mbytes Premium well on a laptop with Windows 8.1 but I'd prefer something other than McAfee if possible. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:26 PM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.Although it uses the same name, Windows Defender 8/10 is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems like Windows 7 and Vista which was only an anti-malware (anti-spyware) program intended to supplement your anti-virus (not replace it).

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

Some anti-virus vendors will ask you to remove Malwarebytes and other security software prior to installation in order to avoid conflicts when the reality is they only want you to use and rely on their software. Conflicts typically occur when installing two anti-virus products but Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is not an anti-virus program...see Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium works well and should run alongside anti-virus software without conflicts. In fact, Malwarebytes has been conducting AV Compatibility Testing for years.In some rare instances, you may need to add exclusions for both the anti-virus and Malwarebytes in their respective exclusions list to resolve problems and achieve the best possible system performance.

AV-Testing-Report-May-2013-copy.jpg

There are members of the Microsoft community who recommend only to use the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a stand-alone scanner to avoid possible conflicts. Although there have been some reports from Windows Defender users that it will not work when Malwarebytes Premium is installed, others have indicated the two products work fine together so you may need to experiment and add exclusions.

With all that said, you may want to read about the newest version of Malwarebytes which should be out of beta soon.
Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement
Malwarebytes 3.0 Beta Forum
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

Sorry. Not sure why the rest of the explanation didn't appear initially.

I have a laptop with Windows 7, Malwarebytes Premium, and Microsoft Essentials. They work well together. I'm getting a new laptop with Windows 10. I will install Malwarebytes Premium on that one also but Microsoft Essentials is not available with Windows 10. I believe it comes with Windows Defender. Will the combination of Widows 10, Malwarebytes Premium, and Windows Defender work as well together as Windows 7, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Essentials, or should I choose another real time anti virus program? I've had the combination of Mbytes Premium and McAfee with Windows 8.1. It worked well but I'd like to avoid McAfee if possible.

If Windows Defender won't do the job, please suggest one that will, free or otherwise. Thanks.

#4 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Sorry. Not sure why the rest of the explanation didn't appear initially.

I have a laptop with Windows 7, Malwarebytes Premium, and Microsoft Essentials. They work well together. I'm getting a new laptop with Windows 10. I will install Malwarebytes Premium on that one also but Microsoft Essentials is not available with Windows 10. I believe it comes with Windows Defender. Will the combination of Widows 10, Malwarebytes Premium, and Windows Defender work as well together as Windows 7, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Essentials, or should I choose another real time anti virus program? I've had the combination of Mbytes Premium and McAfee with Windows 8.1. It worked well but I'd like to avoid McAfee if possible.

If Windows Defender won't do the job, please suggest one that will, free or otherwise. Thanks.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

I edited your previous post to include the information I received from you in the email notification.

Did I not address all your questions/concerns in my previous reply?

#6 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

I'm confused. I see your response above but I don't see an answer.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Post #2 has a detailed answer. Either the board editor or web site is acting quirky today as I am encountering a similar problem. Refreshing the page seems to help.

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for your response. The problem was that when I was alerted to a solution  via email, I clicked on the link but only this showed, no answer:

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2015 MVP.gif

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

There was no answer above that, as there is now. Thanks.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

Not a problem. As I said, I was experiencing a similar issue and refreshing the page worked for me. I have reported it to the Admin.

#10 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

Ok then, to recap:

"IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups"

I'm assuming then, that Windows Defender with Windows 10 is an acceptable replacement for Microsoft Essentials in the sense that it will provide real time anti virus protection and firewall protection in the presence of Malwarebytes Premium and should continue to provide anti virus and firewall  protection even when it senses Malwarebytes Premium, although I may have to include each in the other's exclusion file. Have I got that right? Thanks for your time and sharing of your knowledge.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

Yes...Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems. However, Defender, just like MSE and other free anti-virus solutions, is not enough protection against PUPS, Adware, Spyware, etc so Malwarebytes Premium is recommended to supplement it.

Windows Firewall is built-in so it's not actually part of Windows Defender or MSE.

#12 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:45 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to know. In my limited experience, a new laptop comes with a free trial anti malware program, while suppressing the fact that a sufficient anti malware program might be already installed, even to the extent of hiding the icon and notifications in the system tray and asking if you want to dump existing anti virus software in order to install their own. When that option comes up, I want to feel confident in refusing because I have Mbytes Premium and Windows Defender. Thanks for the straightforward answer I've been searching for for days.

#13 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

Above, where I say anti malware, read both anti virus and anti malware.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

Many OEM manufacturers provide trial versions of anti-virus programs preinstalled on computers as part of their software package. It is not uncommon for a computer manufacturer to partner or enter into an agreement with a well known anti-virus vendor (Norton, McAfee, etc) to include their product as part of a marketing strategy for generating revenue. Computer advertisements that say they include anti-virus protection is a selling point for many buyers. When the trial period expires, the user will have to either remove the software or purchase the full version in order to keep using the anti-virus software. Since most folks know very little about computer security and anti-virus software, many tend to keep whatever came with their system when they first purchased it. Thus, the anti-virus vendor recaps the cost of providing the trial version for free.

I generally uninstall all trial-products and then install my own.

Note: As a preinstalled product...this also means the anti-virus software most likely will be included on your factory recovery disks. If you ever reformat using the vendor's recovery disks, the anti-virus will be reinstalled as part of the default software that came with your computer.

#15 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

Thanks. Good to know. I appreciate the info.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users