Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning on doing a clean install, any advice?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Eszy

Eszy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hi!

I had some issues with my laptop that seem fixed now (still getting some other errors and warnings though). When I do a sfc scan I get the message some files can't be repaired.

Someone suggested doing a clean install and I like the idea. My laptop is 7 years old, harddisk got replaced 5 years ago. After all those years it would be nice to have a Windows version that works well and hasn't files that can't be repaired. 

Since I've never done a clean install I'm preparing what to expect. Should I back up any files other than my personal files and saved files from software? Should I do a back up of my system as it is now in case the clean install goes all kinds of wrong? Any other things I should consider or prepare for? Or any advice/tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

It's best to do a full image backup of both OS partition and data partition on any external media before starting a new install.  Do you have the Windows install DVD?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

I don't have an install dvd, my laptop had Windows installed when I bought it. It has a hidden recovery partition.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

I don't have an install dvd, my laptop had Windows installed when I bought it. It has a hidden recovery partition.

If you want, you can activate that hidden partition, which will put the laptop back to what it was when it left the factory.  Meaning, you really want to copy off your data folders and files onto external media before activating factory recovery.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

I've made a back up off all my personal files and made a list of all the software I had and would like again. 

What do you mean with data folders? (I probably know what you mean, but English isn't my first language and I'd like to be sure... don't want to forget to back up stuff and find out too late haha)

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

Top things to consider when doing what you are contemplating with an old lap:

> As Roland suggested, use your restore partition. Reason: you will need all the drivers for your mainboard (chipset, video, sound, BIOS utilities, etc.) that came installed with your laptop. Many manufacturers are lax about posting driver downloads for legacy equipment and you are taking a chance. Without those drivers you are hoping that the Windows generic will work, but in my experience the unit will never run right like it should.

> Make a full backup image of the main partition and system reserved section to an external drive. I strongly suggest this, it is a safety net if your restore goes south (which is not uncommon). This is an old unit, do not expect it to behave itself like civilized computers do. I have been using Macrium Reflect free edition for years and it has never failed me yet. Be sure to make the emergency restore disk that is prompts you for when you first use it.

> I strongly suggest that you run Seatools for Windows, or Seatools for DOS (free) to check your HDD and Memtest 86+ (also free) for checking that you don't have memory problems. A faulty hard drive or a memory stick going bad can cause hair-tearing problems with your project. You are already having error messages and at least you can check those two critical components.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

...What do you mean with data folders?...

Data folders are folders, directories, you create using Explorer.exe  :)

#8 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

Data folders are folders, directories, you create using Explorer.exe   :)

Then I was thinking about the same thing haha.. I have made a backup of all important files/folders

#9 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

Top things to consider when doing what you are contemplating with an old lap:

> As Roland suggested, use your restore partition. Reason: you will need all the drivers for your mainboard (chipset, video, sound, BIOS utilities, etc.) that came installed with your laptop. Many manufacturers are lax about posting driver downloads for legacy equipment and you are taking a chance. Without those drivers you are hoping that the Windows generic will work, but in my experience the unit will never run right like it should.

> Make a full backup image of the main partition and system reserved section to an external drive. I strongly suggest this, it is a safety net if your restore goes south (which is not uncommon). This is an old unit, do not expect it to behave itself like civilized computers do. I have been using Macrium Reflect free edition for years and it has never failed me yet. Be sure to make the emergency restore disk that is prompts you for when you first use it.

> I strongly suggest that you run Seatools for Windows, or Seatools for DOS (free) to check your HDD and Memtest 86+ (also free) for checking that you don't have memory problems. A faulty hard drive or a memory stick going bad can cause hair-tearing problems with your project. You are already having error messages and at least you can check those two critical components.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! 

The drivers you mentioned are all avaiable at the support page for my laptop. I'm also thinking about doing a backup of my drivers just to be extra safe.

I downloaded the Macrium Reflect free edition and plan on using it tomorrow. I'll remember to make the restore disk. You also made me think about creating a restore disk right after the clean install (if all goes well). 

I ran Seatools and Memtest86+ and my laptop passed all the tests. Earlier I looked up the error/warning id's and most of them were about services not working (properly). One was about an authorisation issue. There are 8 of them total and they always happen while starting my laptop or just a few minutes after. The authorisation issue is easy to fix by adjusting some authorisation settings, but I can't find a good 'how to'. The issues with the services can be fixed by adjusting some keys in the registry, but I don't feel confident enough to mess around in the registry.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

You also made me think about creating a restore disk right after the clean install

If possible make the Recovery Disks before you do anything. 

I would post up the Make and Model of the pc, it always helps.  I assume this pc came with Windows 7? that would be very good.

I would also suggest attempting a Repair if possible, Windows 7 takes forever to Re-Install brother!  And you will run into all kinds of Update issues if not done right.  You may just need to clean up Malware and fix some system files, you'll have to weigh the scales yourself on this.  Study up a little before you have a go at it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

you should back up your and if possiabl get a bigger/faster hard disk, and you can download the windows iso and will need a cd/dvd-rw drive for burning a iso image you will also need a burner program for it i use ROXIO

#12 Eszy

Eszy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:42 AM

You also made me think about creating a restore disk right after the clean install

If possible make the Recovery Disks before you do anything. 

I would post up the Make and Model of the pc, it always helps.  I assume this pc came with Windows 7? that would be very good.

I would also suggest attempting a Repair if possible, Windows 7 takes forever to Re-Install brother!  And you will run into all kinds of Update issues if not done right.  You may just need to clean up Malware and fix some system files, you'll have to weigh the scales yourself on this.  Study up a little before you have a go at it.

My laptop is an Asus K52F, and yes it came with Windows 7.

The person that suggested doing a clean install said it would be very easy and quick, he's done several himself. I was kinda sceptical about it but you guys make me even more sceptical haha.. I like the idea of a clean install because my laptops quite old and I haven't always been as carefull with downloading stuff as I am now. There's no malware or anything like that on my laptop now, but it has been. That's why a clean Windows sounds nice to me. Maybe repair will solve the issue with the files that can't be repaired when doing the sfc scan, but it won't clean/fix the mess I might have made in all those years haha.. So I'm not 100% entirely sure yet what to do.

I've had update issues a while ago. I had to manually download an update for Windows Update to work again. I had the issue with the high cpu/memory use. Is that the same issue you're talking about or are the update issues after a clean install way worse?

Edited by Eszy, 01 December 2016 - 05:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users