Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with CHKDSK + SFC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LaptopComp

LaptopComp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

So, recently I restarted my laptop for the first time in a loooooong time, and apparently I had a scan readied, when I restarted, the screen was blank, only with a logo, and Scanning & Repairing Drive (C:) on the screen and a %bar, at first it went by moderately fast, it got to 11% in ~10 minutes, and it just stopped..... for around ~4 and a half hours when I decided to force shutdown since I assumed it was stuck in a loop or something. I've restarted now, and I want to make sure there's no errors left on my laptop. I've done a SFC /scannow, and it comes back with Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log....... I've searched online and apparently I'm supposed to fix them by replacing them with known working files, but I'm looking at my CBS log and its so long...... I probably just don't understand it. How would I fix SFC? Next, I'd like to run CHKDSK again, I've activated a chkdsk C; /f /r for my next restart, is there some way to make sure it dosn't get stuck this time? If there isn't, I'll just let it run overnight and see what happens.

Would you guys have any advice on what to do? Whats the chance that me force closing the Scan & Repair caused some long term damage? Would some system information help? I believe I'm on windows 8.1, however I haven't done a windows update in a long time because whenever it did it always caused a ton of problems.....

Edited by LaptopComp, 30 November 2016 - 03:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LaptopComp

LaptopComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:24 AM

Bump; redoing scanning and repair disk, stuck on 11% again.....

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 LaptopComp

LaptopComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

First thing, I've noticed something odd about this site, I originally posted about 3 paragraphs and I can only see the first paragraph, and I can only see your first 2 sentences, is this just me? (Did you read the other 2 paragraphs?) In case the rest of this is cut off, I've written 3 paragraphs.I've noticed that entering cuts off the rest of your post, so I'll use bold in place of an enter mark, were you able to read all 3 paragraphs of my first post? I've edited it so it dosnt have enters anymore as well.                                                                   Update; I left my laptop on overnight, when I came back it was on a blue screen that said there was something wrong with starting windows and it gave 3 options, continue to windows 8.1, reset the computer, or shut down. I chose shut down and restarted, when I started again it read Scanning and Repairing (C:) 100%, and my computer then started like normal. I assume CHKDSK has finished working, or should I re-do it to make sure. Lastly, Should I still do DISM to repair now that CHKDSK is done? If I should, I'll run it overnight tonight as well. Thanks for the help

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Edited by LaptopComp, 30 November 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

So, recently I restarted my laptop for the first time in a loooooong time, and apparently I had a scan readied, when I restarted, the screen was blank, only with a logo, and Scanning & Repairing Drive (C:) on the screen and a %bar, at first it went by moderately fast, it got to 11% in ~10 minutes, and it just stopped..... for around ~4 and a half hours when I decided to force shutdown since I assumed it was stuck in a loop or something. I've restarted now, and I want to make sure there's no errors left on my laptop. I've done a SFC /scannow, and it comes back with Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log....... I've searched online and apparently I'm supposed to fix them by replacing them with known working files, but I'm looking at my CBS log and its so long...... I probably just don't understand it. How would I fix SFC? Next, I'd like to run CHKDSK again, I've activated a chkdsk C; /f /r for my next restart, is there some way to make sure it dosn't get stuck this time? If there isn't, I'll just let it run overnight and see what happens.

Would you guys have any advice on what to do? Whats the chance that me force closing the Scan & Repair caused some long term damage? Would some system information help? I believe I'm on windows 8.1, however I haven't done a windows update in a long time because whenever it did it always caused a ton of problems.....

This is your first post, only you can tell if anything is missing.

Yes... run the DISM command from the Command Prompt.  Post the results.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 LaptopComp

LaptopComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

"Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

[100% bar]

Error: 0x80240021

DISM failed,No operation was performed.

For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

I assume it didn't work so I didn't restart, should I post the DISM log? its super long.....

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

See here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/dism-online-restore-health-function-gets-error/4183685b-7d52-458c-b818-045369b98380

#8 LaptopComp

LaptopComp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

Alright

I'll do Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup then dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and see what happens

If that dosn't work I'll try it on a clean boot

Edit : StartComponentCleanup was successful, restorehealth did not work

I'll retry on a clean boot when  I can

Edited by LaptopComp, 04 December 2016 - 04:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users