Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3rd party software all fail at updating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reeltemepting

reeltemepting

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

Hello All,

Like the topic says, any time there is some sort of auto update for a program on my win 7 computer, the update fails.  I have tried turning off Win Defender, Zone alarm, anti Virus, AntiMalware Bytes - etc. no joy.

Antimalware bytes, cannot start a scan as it gets stuck on auto updating

Origin Game client can never update

Gog Game client can never update

NVidia experience and all driver updates fail...

the list goes on.

I have one theory - A while back, I read an article about disabling Windows 7 services to speed up computer or just because "they didn't do anything" heh - now I am wondering if I have inadvertently disabled some network and sharing center services, disabled other services or changed some configs etc. that either closed down ports or changed the way my router looks at outgoing/incoming requests requests.

So I am requesting help.  I am savvy to deal with "regEdit" using DOS commands, and will run any other test/report you suggest.

Lastly, I could be way off too, so I will try anything.

I thank any kind soul in advance.

Bill 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

My suggestion...reverse whatever changes you made when fooling around with services...and see if that corrects your situation.

Louis

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

This may prove helpful to you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/236709-services-restore-default-services-windows-7-a.html

#4 reeltemepting

reeltemepting
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

thanks Opera, - I will use the tutorial.  I probably won't grab each file one by one, however the tutorial gives a default status of the services, so I will get into regEdit and revert them to their default status, and then use the files if I am missing any services.  If that fails then I will probably go one by one.

@Hamluis - unfortunately I do not remember which services got changed and when, inside of that, if anyone knows important windows services that handle network traffic, I can look more closely at those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users