Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix system restore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wiskerluv

wiskerluv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

No matter what dates I choose, system restore says it can't restore to that date.  I tried using safe mode, but still not working.  What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

Windows XP system restore, to include other Win OSes, has always been less than a 100% success. Perhaps if you can tell us what/why you need to restore, someone here may be able to assist.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hello there,

It sounds as if security settings for System Restore are corrupted or misconfigured in XP...

Please press start > Run. Type in CMD and hit OK.

Place the following in the Command Prompt window:

secedit /analyze /db c:\security.txt [/cfg c:\security.txt] [/log c:\security.txt] [/quiet]

Once that runs, and is done, exit Command Prompt, and upload C:\security.txt to the forum here for analysis. :)

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:59 AM

@saw101, have you been able to do any of this? Has it helped? Please update us.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:03 AM

@saw101, have you been able to do any of this? Has it helped? Please update us.

Have I been able to do any of what exactly?  I simply stated that system restore has always been less than 100% reliable. Perhaps when Wiskerluv posts back, telling us what/why they need to restore, someone here may be able to assist. 

Basically, while system restore is a good concept, in actual practice it often falls flat on its face. Personally I have it turned off. Having a good Image to restore to, while a bit more work, is considerably more reliable. With good free dependable backup software such as Macrium Reflect & the ability to quickly restore ones system from a good working backup, why use Microsoft's less than stellar offering?

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

@saw101 - Sorry about that, I posted that at the end of the day. I meant @wiskerluv.

Now, @wiskerluv, has any of this helped you? :P

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

When i used XP system restore would fail every now and again,doesnt seem to happen on 7 so much although i use it very rarely

Anyway if i had a problem with system restore i would reinstall it which usually fixed any issues

Instructions here

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-repair-windows-xp-system-restore

#8 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

Sorry I haven't responded but I did a fresh install of windows XP.  truthfully, I can't even remember what I wanted to restore So now I have  a new instllation of windows as of 5 days ago, and now my system restore isn't working on this new install.  I disabled system restore and re-enabled it again, so will see if that works.

Thanks for all the responses and I will be back if it doesn't work.

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:48 AM

I think XP was my favorite version of Windows overall but it was definayelly capable of shooting itself in the foot for no apparent reason..you could still try the re install of Sysresore even on a fresh install,ive seen things like  that work,or use something like macrium reflect to make a system image.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users