Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im trying to put a newer version of windows on my dell laptop running windows xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 longlivetheking

longlivetheking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm trying to put a newer version of windows on my dell laptop running windows XP

I couldn't make an image and the dell laptop says its windows vista but it runs XP

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D830 and on the back of it it says windows vista business OEMA and has all the product and ID #

But here's the thing its only running windows XP

Does anyone have an suggestions ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

Compared to XP, Vista is junk. In any case Vista is no longer going to be supported with Security Updates after April of next year so you are dealing with the same problem of an unsupported OS. 

There is a registry hack to allow XP to receive security updates but it is not recommended using it.

If you do not want XP on the computer consider installing a small linux distro. The computer came with 512MB of RAM according to the Specs. That is pushing it for XP let alone Vista. I doubt you would have a good experience with Vista on the D830 and perhaps that is why somebody installed XP.

How much RAM is listed on the Dell?

#3 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:37 PM

Compared to XP, Vista is junk.

I prefer my "junk" to any pitiful XP system. I haven't wasted any money on Windows 7 because it's almost identical to Vista and next in line for end of support anyway, and I'm certainly not interested in any junk like Windows 8.1 or 10.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

Compared to XP, Vista is junk.

I prefer my "junk" to any pitiful XP system. I haven't wasted any money on Windows 7 because it's almost identical to Vista and next in line for end of support anyway, and I'm certainly not interested in any junk like Windows 8.1 or 10.

If you decide to keep Vista I strongly advise you do not do online banking or purchases online after April of next year if you currently do so otherwise have a good AV and do your browsing in a USER account.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 November 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#5 longlivetheking

longlivetheking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

it has an 4 GB memory cap but im sure i could put a 8 GB

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

If you want to put a newer OS on the computer then I would recommend seeing if you can run Windows 7. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 November 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

If you'd like to persevere with Windows and not need to learn a new OS, you might be able to get a recovery image for the original Vista Business installation using the info on the laptop stickers:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/aubsd1/Drivers/OSISO

Or else from the link at the very bottom of that page, Dell may already have a Linux distribution set up for that laptop.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

if your not a gamer id go Linux mint, the GUI is very close to what windows is and its a up to date Os.

As for backing up files ...get a external hdd and back your stuff up, copy what you want back after a fresh install.

Edited by shadow_647, 06 December 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:42 PM

it has an 4 GB memory cap but im sure i could put a 8 GB

Ha, I would research that before wasting all that money on 8GB.

Second I would follow John's advice to see if you an run W7.  If it's possible to run W7 I would do that, but make sure you research it thoroughly first and get more RAM W7 will be pitiful on 1GB.  If not, put 4GB of RAM in it and run a good Linux OS.  Depending on what you need to do Linux is a good solution for these older laptops.  Another Pro for running Linux, is you will be fully installed with Updates and all within 1 1/4 hr...well for the experienced that is.  It will take longer with the download of linux iso etc, but the same with W7.

Good luck 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:29 PM

My laptop has a 1700mgz cpu and 1gig ram, got the newest version of linux mint on it and it runs like pro thats all i know, win7 you need at lest 2gigs ram or its going to be slow and its a pain to setup.

#11 DaveJoBot

DaveJoBot

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:36 AM

i have the same problem where i bought a dell latitude d820 and it has 512ram and i took a sata hard drive from an acer aspire and it has vista 32-bit home-pre and it says that it has a xp-pro sticker ( COA sticker ) and as soon as "all" drivers are installed i go to system properties and it says that i have-  "3 days to enter a key " but really you will have 30-days...but thats not the point, buy a product install ALL drivers and be happy...but windows 7 is essentially windows vista but newer and cleaner just google pics and you may want to download the image

p.s the only driver that didn't get installed is the sigmatel 9200 driver, does acer not support sigmatel drivers?

thanks

daveJoBot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users