Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Im trying to put a newer version of windows on my dell laptop running

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 longlivetheking

longlivetheking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

I'm trying to put a newer version of windows on my dell laptop running windows XP

I couldn't make an image and the dell laptop says its windows vista but it runs XP

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D830 and on the back of it it says windows vista business OEMA and has all the product and ID #

But here's the thing its only running windows XP

Does anyone have an suggestions ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

I would put a linux distro on the computer. The version depending on how much ram you have.

#3 longlivetheking

longlivetheking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

i have 8 GB of am

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

I would select either Linux Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu. You can burn the iso of each to a DVD and see how you like it. The OS will run off the DVD and RAM so it will be a little slower.

Ubuntu Desktop   also for laptops

Linux Mint Cinnamon 

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051

Ubuntu video

Mint video

If you do not have DVD disks I can give instructions on booting a USB flash drive.

If you have any questions after booting either of the above distros please post them in the linux forum. Edit: I am surprised you have that much Ram especially if XP is 32bit as it can only use 4GB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2016 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users