Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Specific Folder Access in Samba

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:50 PM

Right now I'm using openSuse 42.2. I'm 100% able to allow guest access to the folder and instantly access the folder in windows 10. However, if I turn off guess access and add "user" or "username" to the file within the yast samba server config for that specific file it doesn't allow me to log in. It always fails.

Is there some magical samba password and username that I don't know about that I have to enter?

I remember a few years ago using ubuntu, you simply just had to have the unix username and its password in the system, add them to the users list and you were set. But I also tried this in a Linux mint 18 environment and run into the same issue. Guess access yes, user specific no.

Here Is the setup. I just tried anything related to the users category when adding.

uCrXvtQ.png

Ultimately, if I can get this nailed down, I'll be creating a how to guide that I'll gladly post for others in the future.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 30 November 2016 - 05:39 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

It should be whatever user you have assigned to that folder. So if you have user 'wishmakingfairy' on that system and assigned to have access to that folder/file you would put in that username/password when trying to access it on Windows. On my samba setup I just use my regular user that I use to log on to the system when accessing the file share from other systems.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

That's what I want to do. My username on my systems is "wish" both windows and linux. I figured that adding wish to the user would allow the wish user to use the same password as its login to access the folder.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:02 PM

It would be the "wish" user from the linux system, not the windows (though if you use the same password as well on both systems, you shouldn't see a difference).

If that isn't working that is indeed strange.... what does your samba conf file look like?

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

In case I personally did something wrong. I'm going to go back to my systems snapshot before I modified anything. Ill have the same type of setup as you see in that above picture and if it doesn't work. Ill post the config for you to view.

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

I feel pretty stupid :P. I never went into the terminal and typed "sudo smbpasswd -a wish" to add a smbpassword. The second I did that I could instantly log in as the wish user.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Well that makes sense! haha! Glad you figured it out and got it working!

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

Now im hitting another pothole. If i add a second user to the system and add the samba password the same way. I absolutely cannot use either login when trying to access the files.

**Update** I narrowed it down to group access. I noticed that all users obviously were in the "users" group. So I created a group with the users own name and added a specific and denied groups policy for each of the different shares. I've gotten it so that under my "wish" account, I can't view the secondary "tim" folder with my wish credentials. I knew better. I knew groups existed and their specific roles but overlooked it for some reason. Ill be working on my little walk through for this in case anyone else ever runs into this and just wants to get file sharing setup in no time. **

Sorry if I drove anyone nuts.I always overlook the simple basics when trying to make things happen.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 30 November 2016 - 06:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users