Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something changes PC from home to public network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

The first time this happened, I thought I'd made an error. Resetting my internet access back to home was laborious. Until fixed, I had no internet access. Now it has happened again. I got it reset, but still can't remember what (of many) things I did that restored it.

I'm sure now that this was done by malware.  Probably to force access by them to my files. And so it will probably happen again. When they do this, THEY get access, but I don't have any.

Not good.

Can anyone guide me, step by step, so I can restore it without taking 2 hours? AND, is there any way to prevent it?

Also, if anyone knows of a specific malware that does this, can you inform me?

Thanks!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 November 2016 - 06:56 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

I don't know if this has to do with another problem I posted about something changing my PC's internet access from home to public, but it's possible. If so, I may have other problems not yet discovered.

I go to youtube and try to play a video. It's worse than just choppy, having to "buffer" every 5 seconds; while it's buffering, the visual part stays put. Sound will return, but frozen video.

I tried to log on, but something has made my password inoperative. Logon is done through Google. Always says my password is wrong. I'm told it was changed 6 months ago, but actually was most recently changed this month. But nothing works, so I can't log on. Asked for an e-mail to get my password. Didn't arrive.

Even when it says I gave the wrong password, it sometimes gives me a captcha to answer. I answer it, and only get another captcha.

Something's royally screwed up.

Can you please help?

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2016 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users