Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to skip Win XP activation in nLite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Solarium

Solarium

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

Hi all!

I've seen that many people remove Out of Box Experience in a slim copy of Win XP and I would like to do the same without running into issues. I have XP Pro and Home with activation codes (underneath the laptops).
Actually, I already have both OS activated. So, theoretically I would need to find the activation files, then copy and paste them in the system32 folder of the new installation cd project. If I'm not wrong, WPA.dbl should be the file I need but I remember that Windows needs to be restarted in Safe Mode after the installation in order to replace that file. How to avoid that?

Is it enough to copy the activation files in the system32 folder or will I need to set even something else in nLite in order to skip activation (or, at least, to make this task unattended)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

I have no idea...what you are referring to.  Can you post a link to discussion of whatever it is that you want to do?

Many of us have used nLite to make slipstreamed copies of the XP install disk...but you seem to have something else in mind.  Best suggestion I can make is to visit the nLite website, http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html .

As I understand it...removing OOBE results in the inability to activate...which, in turn, results in an XP install of little value, IMO.  But I don't know, I've always just copied the original XP install desk fully.

Louis

#3 Solarium

Solarium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

I don't have a particular link but I've seen the inf files of nLite users. Even with Win XP Pro they remove OOBE. Perhaps they insert the activation key in the "General" tab of "unattended" section. Perhaps the "skip OOBE" option needs to be selected.
With or without OOBE there must be a way to make this aspect completely unattended. Ideally, after the installation process nothing needs to be done. A perfect unattended installation CD is what I'm trying to make.
Any suggestion?

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:49 PM

A perfect unattended installation CD is what I'm trying to make.
Any suggestion?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-create-an-unattended-windows-xp-disk/

Or

https://www.google.com/search?q=unattended+win+xp+install&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#5 Solarium

Solarium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

Thanks! I'll take a look at them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users