Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Win 8.1] Surface Pro 3, .Net 3.5 install issues

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:49 PM

I cross posted this on the MS forums as well, but that is a shot in the dark to get help.

Recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 and one of the applications I need for work will not install due to needing 3.5

I scoured the web for different knowledge bases on the fix

When I try to enable .Net 3.5 via the Turn Windows Features On or Off through the Control Panel, I am prompted that Windows needs to obtain files from Windows Update to proceed. This screen then hangs on "Downloading required files" with no progress. Then it gives me an error that it could not connect to the internet (which obviously works fine)

I tried using the DISM fix with no luck (this is not the DISM fix to install 3.5 from an installation CD, the SP3 did not come with an OS media and I refuse to download a bootleg version to mount and try to fix) Are there any resources to where I can get a Windows 8 Disk to troubleshoot this without having to buy a license again?

I changed the settings via GPEDIT with no luck. (contact Windows Update Directly fix in Local Policy)

I even reset Windows Update in case there was an issue there.

Getting close to my wits end with this. I thought I said goodbye to the Windows 8 woes long ago but I guess karma sucks doesnt it.

Any other ideas? This thing is a brick without .Net 3.5

Edited by digitalmatter, 29 November 2016 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

Use the Offline Installer

http://www.askvg.com/download-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-offline-installer-for-windows-8/

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

*edit*

Good call Arach. That would give me an install disk to use the other DISM command to try and reinstall.

Edited by digitalmatter, 29 November 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

I would suggest that you try doing a Refresh.  This basically reinstalls the operating system but does not effect your data, but is will uninstall any third party programs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

The Surface Pro 3 only has a few network mapped drives and Office.  I could care less if I wipe it.

I never knew there was a Media Creation Tool for Windows 8, I knew about 10.

#7 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

For bleeps and giggles I decided to go ahead and grab my free upgrade to Windows 10 while I waited on a few responses.  3.5 activates without a hitch.

Which again proves Windows 8 is the worst OS they have ever made

#8 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

How did you upgrade for free? That ended months ago.

#9 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Downloaded and installed Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft,  when prompted for a license I chose the skip option for later, once the upgrade went through I checked and Windows 10 was licensed properly.  I did not go through the normal "Upgrade" popup that was around a few months ago.  I installed 10 on a hunch that it would work and it did.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

It may have allowed you to install Windows 10, but you don't have a product code for Windows 10 unless you had this operating system installed on this drive originally.  Without the product code the operating system will not be activated.

Right click on Computer in the start menu, select properties and see if Windows 10 is activated.

If it isn't you will have 30 days to activate it, after that time you will have a very limited version of Windows which you will not be able to get updates.

#11 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Windows 10 is 100% activated on the machine. Attaching photo I just took.  

IMG_20161201_142353.jpg

#12 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Downloaded and installed Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft,  when prompted for a license I chose the skip option for later, once the upgrade went through I checked and Windows 10 was licensed properly.  I did not go through the normal "Upgrade" popup that was around a few months ago.  I installed 10 on a hunch that it would work and it did.

I'm not sure what you mean by you installed windows 10 on a hunch and it worked. It is a fact that after July 29 there was no more free upgrades, there is no way to get around that unless you use assistive technologies which sounds like there is no end date on the free upgrade. None the less looks like you are good to go.

#13 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

I knew by some meaning the free upgrades were taken away in July, but installed Windows 10 to see if it would get rid of the issue and was ready to purchase a 10 Pro license if so. To my surprise, it was activated upon upgrade from Microsoft.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Microsoft is still offering Windows 10 for free to people who use assistive technologies.  I can't attest to this, but it appears that Microsoft isn't requiring proof that one is using assistive technologies.

Edited by dc3, 01 December 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#15 digitalmatter

digitalmatter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

I just went and snagged the media creation tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and upgraded on the fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users