Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB PCI-E Cards, with or without power connections? Features?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to replace my old 2.0 USB PCI cards with the PCI-E 3.0 ones. What would you recommend on which one to get? Either the one that has no additional power connection or with? If the power one is the one then what would be the reason to get that one over the one with no power for example?

Also, what features should I be looking for in a card as well or any info you can give to help me make an informed decision? Thank you!

NO ADDITIONAL POWER

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Expansion-Controller-Additional-Connection/dp/B00JFR2I2C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1480411237&sr=8-5&keywords=inateck+pci-e

WITH ADDITIONAL POWER

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1480411237&sr=8-4&keywords=inateck+pci-e

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1TTVDEMMCUHHF&coliid=I1K4258492W2W6

Thank you all for any advice you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

Get the card with the additional power. This thread covers it pretty well.

#3 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:27 AM

Get the card with the additional power. This thread covers it pretty well.

Thank you very much JohnC_21. I appreciate your time and assistance. Thank you for that thread. Now I know why when I had 4 external hard drives plugged into my current PCI cards that my operating seems so much slower.

I have some time before I make my decision, but it looks like I am going towards the one with the power. Out of the two I listed, which one do you like?

On the one that is $23.99 has this feature: Energy Saver: Support LPM, Low Energy Consumption; 15 pin SATA Power Connector to power USB devices from your PC power supply. Not sure if this is a major thing to have, but would like to get your thoughts on that too.

Thank you again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:05 AM

I don't have much experience with these cards. I would recommend you check the ratings of each. You can also start a thread in the System Building Forum. People there have a lot of hardware experience. This forum is mostly for internal hardware problems. 

The more expensive model has an additional USB 3 port and a 20 pin header for front USB 3 ports. This would allow you to purchase something like this front panel if you you have a hard drive space free.

Here are the inateck pages for each. You may get a better answer to your question on the inatech forums

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-5o2i-usb-3-0-pci-express-card.html

#5 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

I don't have much experience with these cards. I would recommend you check the ratings of each. You can also start a thread in the System Building Forum. People there have a lot of hardware experience. This forum is mostly for internal hardware problems. 

The more expensive model has an additional USB 3 port and a 20 pin header for front USB 3 ports. This would allow you to purchase something like this front panel if you you have a hard drive space free.

Here are the inateck pages for each. You may get a better answer to your question on the inatech forums

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-5o2i-usb-3-0-pci-express-card.html

Thank you very much JohnC_21. For clarification, isn't USB PCI-E Cards considered Internal Hardware as it goes inside the computer? That is why I started the thread here. Will check out the info you provided. Thank you again!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

You are correct but the internal hardware forum is usually for people with internal hardware problems. The people in the System Building Forum answer questions regarding adding new hardware and upgrading systems.

#7 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

You are correct but the internal hardware forum is usually for people with internal hardware problems. The people in the System Building Forum answer questions regarding adding new hardware and upgrading systems.

Internal Hardware description

Discuss and ask questions about any hardware that is inside your computer such as motherboards, video cards, power supplies, and processors. This also includes BIOS questions.

PC Building description

Discuss and ask questions about building a new computer or upgrading the parts of an existing one.

Thank you for the clarification. I can see the PC Building one, but the description in the internal one can be a bit confusing because it doesn't give a specific only post here for problems in the description. So, it was a hard decision in the beginning and chose this one because I wasn't building a computer. I guess if I don't get anymore responses here I will start another one over there.

Thank you again. I appreciate your time and response!!!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:26 AM

Your Welcome,

There was no problem with you posting in the internal hardware forum. I only recommended the System Building Forum as I thought you may get a better response to the addin card.

If you have any additional questions I know there are good people in the System Building Forum should you decide to post there.

#9 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

Your Welcome,

There was no problem with you posting in the internal hardware forum. I only recommended the System Building Forum as I thought you may get a better response to the addin card.

If you have any additional questions I know there are good people in the System Building Forum should you decide to post there.

Thank you again. I am glad you did make the clarification because I am still trying to get better on how to use the forums. I appreciate it my friend!!!!

I agree, I will probably post a thread over there as well! Should I mention this thread when doing so?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

Yes, if you wish you can reference this thread's link.

#11 2000YrsAgo

2000YrsAgo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Yes, if you wish you can reference this thread's link.

Thank you again for your assistance. Stop by anytime in my future threads. You are welcome! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users