Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low FPS with high end system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dab4294

dab4294

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hey guys, I'll try to be as descriptive as possible here but let me know if I'm missing some info
PC Specs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Intel BXTS13X 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($81.92 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($759.87 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC Skyline-07-G ATX Full Tower Case ($89.89 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 

With a Dell S2716DG Monitor
I've run this rig for about 11 months now and have had no problems so far. However, I started up League of Legends the other day and was only getting about 30-40 fps with major drops every time a lot of particles were on screen. I've tried updating drivers, changing pcie slots. System restore etc. Fresh install of windows. etc.  I found that its not only the case in League as well. I played overwatch today (normally run no problem) and it was only reaching about 50 fps (No vsync/ frame caps.) I know the game is playable at 50 fps. But with my specs I feel I should get highter than that.

I also ran Firewatch on ultra settings and was only getting about 20 or less fps.

I did try to look at resources used when playing and it looks like my CPU was at 100% and GPU was at about 40% (max) Utilization when playing overwatch.
Temperatures looked fine both for cpu and GPU (GPU didnt go over 70c)
Anyone have any other ideas etc? I'm at a loss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Put screenshot from Task manager processes tab when CPU is 100% and sort by CPU usage.

#3 dab4294

dab4294
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

Heya, thanks for the reply, the CPU usage in task manager actually doesn't go up to 100%, However in MSI Afterburner it shows cpu utilization going to 100% for just about every core. I guess thats a better way to explain it! In task manager it doesnt go past 30,40% if it even gets up to that. Hopefully that makes more sense 

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

What processes consume CPU power? You selected "show processes for all users"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users