Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete free space on hdd?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:04 AM

Hi,
I am using Windows XP and I have problems with hdd. In chkdsk utility it says that there are problems with file system and that the free space is in mtf. I decided to reinstall windows and delete all my partitions ( I delete them in Windows XP installation process, I mean that step of choosing the partition where you want to install windows). After installation it still says that there is a problem with filesystem and that the free space is on mtf. How can I completly reset my harddisk.

Edited by HrcaA3000, 29 November 2016 - 08:05 AM.

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

Please post the actual message content. It's not possible to advise you accurately with the information given - "free space is on mtf" appears to have no meaning.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.

#4 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

How can I reset disk to be like a new one.I mean to delete everything including free space

Edited by HrcaA3000, 29 November 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

Does the message appear at every boot? It could be a bug in chkdsk. Is XP at SP3?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc975390.aspx

If it occurs at every boot then run a disk diagnostic like Seatools for Windows.

See this thread for additional info.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

delete everything including free space

Delete all partitions on the HDD, Reset a main partition(s), Reformat and reinstall Windows. If you still get error messages follow the advice above. In fact, it might be a good idea to do that first, especially running Seatools on your HDD.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 November 2016 - 05:28 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

I didn't think you could actually delete 'free space'. Surely, this is a part of the disk which already has nothing on it?

And surely, it's impossible to do this from within Windows itself. Wouldn't you need to do this externally, from, say, something like a Linux LiveCD....or something like Parted Magic?  :scratchhead:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:28 PM

IMO...it's unclear what the intent is here.

As pointed out above...there is no such thing as "deleting free space".  That being the case, we need to find out what is truly desired here...and why.

If the hard drive itself is problematical...deleting anything or formatting the drive...is not likely to be a useful pursuit.  The first order of business I would elect would be to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

No free space is being deleted. According to Post #3 free space is being marked as allocated in the Master File Table. In any case it would be wise to run the disk diagnostic.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.

Explanation:

Chkdsk will mark the space as free so the file system can use it.

User Action:

No user action is needed.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:56 AM

Are you running CHKDSK with a command switch or just by typing its name? If you just type CHKDSK, it will only deliver a report. In that case, run CHKDSK /R to do repairs.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

I assumed that what the OP was talking about is the small section that Windows reserves outside of the active partition. I guess I wasn't clear in my first post.... what I meant is that after the reformat if he still has the same message I would suspect that his HDD is starting to fail. Using Seatools for DOS on the long test option would settle that possibility.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users