Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone familiar with Macrium Reflect?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 windows7newbie

windows7newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

I would like to put another OS  on my laptop to dual boot, and have read that it would be a good idea to use macrium reflect to both create a rescue environment(that would allow me to boot into a PE environment which i understand as a stripped down version of the original OS in case I make changes while installing the new linuxOS that results in not being able to boot into windows) and to create a restore point/system image. 

I have already created the rescue environment- put it on a 16GB stick drive- and have successfully tested being able to boot into the Rescue enviroment.

Now, from what I read I should ALSO make restore point, but where do I put it? On another stick drive? How do I restore windows Using the rescue environment? Macrium says to search for your restore point in its Rescue Environment, but I dont know how to put an image there? 

Please do not suggest using a different software, I would really like to learn how to use this. 

Here's what I have read: https://blog.macrium.com/2016/11/08/techie-tuesday-macrium-rescue-environment/

I just do not know how to use it yet....

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

You need to create a complete disk image to a USB external drive. Your image is copied to the external drive during the backup process. You can create a complete disk image inside of Windows or using the bootable USB flash drive. I suggest you purchase a 1TB or 2TB USB external drive to hold your images.

When you backup the disk make sure all partitions are checked. You do not want to backup a single partition on the disk but every partition.

Backing up a disk

Restoring a disk

There are other videos on youtube than show the process.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

from what I read I should ALSO make restore point, but where do I put it?

As an addendum to John's post above, you don't have to put the restore point anywhere. Just make your Windows restore point normally, and then make the image backup. Since it is a part of your system it will be part of the image when you restore. Note that a restore point will not "fix" a major system crash corruption of your OS or primary partition.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 windows7newbie

windows7newbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

from what I read I should ALSO make restore point, but where do I put it?

As an addendum to John's post above, you don't have to put the restore point anywhere. Just make your Windows restore point normally, and then make the image backup. Since it is a part of your system it will be part of the image when you restore. Note that a restore point will not "fix" a major system crash corruption of your OS or primary partition.

Thanks for the responses, i didnt expect them so quickly. I guess i was confused on how to use the rescue environment because i didnt see any backup images until i made one using macrium.

When you say a restore point will not fix a major system crash or corruption of the os or primary partition, is there anything that will? I guess I thought that if I accidentally overwrote something and it wouldn't boot into windows I could use the rescue environment to restore to it to before i made any changes. Thanks for your time in advance.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

is there anything that will?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A system corruption can sometimes be corrected, but when a partition is corrupted, that get much more complicated, and percentage-wise the failures are more than successes.

I could use the rescue environment to restore to it to before i made any changes.

If you mean re-image the backup onto your drive, yes, that will work every time. Image backups should be a religion to every serious computer user. That is why you want to make backups at least twice of month, especially if you use your computer heavily with newly added data. This applies even more with the increasing number of ransomware attacks out there, for which there is no fix. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

I've been using Macrium Reflect for some time now, I really enjoy the reliable restores made from earlier reliable backups.  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users