Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website redirect on Chrome

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OlympicsFan

OlympicsFan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hi!  I have an annoying issue occuring with Chrome on my Galaxy s7edge that I hope you can help with.

I will be reading a website and suddenly redirected to what looks like a Facebook contest that asks "who was the creator of Facebook" with 1:58 counting down to answer.  I have cleared the cache, deleted all browser history, downloaded the Malwarebytes app (scan found  nothing) and get this even when Wi-Fi is disabled and using 4G so this is appears to be part of the files installed on the device.

If it helps - the website doesn't matter as this happens at random and often, plus I don't actually have a Facebook account or app so I know this is not legit :wink:

Any ideas on the cause and how to remove?

-Susan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Have you gone into Apps and cleared data on chrome?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 OlympicsFan

OlympicsFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

The first thing I did was go into Apps and cleared the cache from chrome but that didn't work.  Is that what you are referring to?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

No what I was referring to was Apps Manager. But apparently you can't clear data from there only force stop.

Still looking for a solution for you. Do you have any idea what the URL is for your redirect or are they all random?

Have you ever connected your S7 to your computer before by chance? We may need to do so to look into some folders in Chrome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 OlympicsFan

OlympicsFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:19 PM

​Hi,

I had installed Malwarebytes app and cleared out every cache and excess thing I could find and this seemed to stop/improve for a while but now the popup/redirect is back.  I have a screenshot but is there a way to paste it without signing up a for a photohosting site?

I have connected my S7 to a computer only once recently to grab some photos but let me know if you think that would help.

Thanks!

#6 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:24 AM

Can you check the website which you trying to read, maybe there is any redirect link and you think problem in your phone. I think you should check the website if there is no such issue then you should reset your phone once. I hope it will helps you and solve your issue.

#7 Nzyme

Nzyme

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Install Adguard on your phone and use a good antivirus app like Bitdefender. Also if you can, don't use Chrome. Use Firefox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users