Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Subscribe Pop Up Box of Evil

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

I have a friend who is browsing on the website of Dean Safes (in other words, a long-standing legitimate company) and he hit a road block: an optional subscibe pop up box.

It's like some kind of flash display box, not a new window opening up.  It's darkens the page and won't let you go unless you optionally subscribe.  I'm not kidding you.  You refresh the page, it pops back up.  There's no button to close the box.  I tried entering a fake e-mail to see if the optional subscribe box would go away, but instead it tells you to click on the link sent to your e-mail.  Since it's not a seperate internet window, I can't use Task Manager on it to end it.

He's using Google Chrome and Wibdows 10.

Clearly this was designed to be evil.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:30 PM

There are news websites that do the same. Advertising...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

Disposable email addresses are always good for this sort of thing.

I tend to shun sites that revert to these sort of data gathering tactics though. Providing great content and offering a better experience through free subscription is a much better model.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

"There's no button to close the box."

Click somewhere else on the browser window except the popup and it goes away. Just tried it in Chrome and IE. If your still having problems, block the ad all together with Chrome and Adblock.

Edited by Trikein, 29 November 2016 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users