Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop for friend (Puppy?)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

Hello guys a friend of mine is in a pinch and needs a computer to look for jobs and places. 

I'm letting him use an old Dell Inspiron2200 (1.28GB RAM) 

which distro should i put on? and i was wondering if i could pick the resident puppy master's brain about puppy linux?

I was thinking of lxle, but it was slowwww.

Ideas?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

I was thinking of lxle, but it was slowwww.

What did you expect LOL.

You did run it from USB right Vipe?

LXLE Should be pretty good but you may try Lubuntu, it is what LXLE is based, that is the lightest of the Ubuntu Official Flavors.  Al1000 and others have been touting AntiXsomething for really low powered machines.  I've run Lubuntu, Xfce, LXLE and some others on these low powered machines but Puppy is the only one that is going to run "Fast" on them.  

I installed Xfce17.2 on a HP nc6220, with 1GB of RAM, and it ran well enough for me, and the customer, but not fast.  Tried the Lubuntu on it first but the Xfce is more polished for the person I installed it for.  Lubuntu is super simple comes with next to nothing installed, and should run decent on that.  I really like Lubuntu because it's one of the Official Flavors, don't know how much that matters but user support may be better than others.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

I'd probably take puppy over lubuntu. I know lubuntu is very small and can do a very nice job on some old vista / xp machines. But in terms of being able to just boot it from a flash drive and have speeds equal to an installed lubuntu, if not faster. I'd go for puppy.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:47 AM

Yes, they were both quite speedy when ran from a flasdrive (used mint's USB Image Writer) but once i installed lxle Electrica (16.04, i know i may have jumped the gun on that distro haha) it was SUPER slow.

I also checked our Porteus, it was okay as well, pupy was the fastest once installed so i think I'm going to stick with puppy.

BUT i will however keep AntiX in mind, I've used it before on that very laptop and it ran smoothly.

Although.... i could just install android on it because he is a HUGE fan of android for some reason.

Things to ponder.....

Thanks for the Responses, with so many distros to choose from it's hard to find "just one" hell, I'm running 3 on my lappy :)

Thanks again!

hQBT2G3.png

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Hiya, Viper.

Hoo-boy.....where to start?  :P So many choices.....

No, in all seriousness, there's only a couple I would recommend in a situation like this.

1) The 'classic' Slacko 5.7.0 (based on Slackware 14.0); rock-solid, and as stable as they come, or.....

2) The slightly newer Tahrpup 6.05 (based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). Phil Broughton (666philb on the Forum) has gone out of his way to make sure everything about this Pup just 'works', OOTB.

For 'Slacko' 570:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-slacko-5.7/

In theory, you want the no-PAE version, but many things about that ISO were known to be slightly 'wonky', so I'd recommend using the PAE version.

For 'Tahrpup' 6.05:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/

Down near the bottom. There's no known differences between PAE & no-PAE; take your pick.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install to hard-drive, but as 'frugals'. That way, you retain all the 'frugal' install's advantages.....which you immediately lose with the full install. That's only recommended for lappies with low RAM, since Pup won't try to run totally in memory; rather, it'll act like any other Linux distro under those circumstances, and only pulls off the HDD what it needs for the task at hand.

You've got plenty of RAM there. My old Inspiron 1100 currently has 1.5 GB, and that's masses of space for Puppy to run & jump & play in... Anything over a gig is luxury for Pup!

Anything else, just ask, mate.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 November 2016 - 11:06 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

Installing it now, i got passed the main install steps (frugal) now it's "stuck?" on "Installing Grub4dos" been here for 10 minutes now. normal?

hQBT2G3.png

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

Hi, Viper. Sorry for the delay.

Which one are you using? And how are you installing it.....from the LiveCD, or did you use something like UNetbootin for a USB? If running from the LiveCD, are you using the Puppy Universal Installer (Menu->Setup->Puppy Universal Installer).....or something else?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 November 2016 - 04:59 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

I used tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso ( it IS installed now btw)

For USB i used rufus and PowerISO (both booted fine, just hung on the grub4dos part)

And i used Brasero to burn the iso to a CD

Tried installing Via USB (both frugal and full on separate occasions ) grub4dos stayed for about 150-20 minutes. so I scrapped that idea. so I burned it to a cd (700MB) booted, tested, and installed (frugal) set up the WiFi, added FF/Chrome. 

i just used the "Install" button on the desktop. 

It is up an running now!

got single click figured out, now to figure out right click for options...like "Add to Desktop" or something. 

Then gotta clean up the desktop ( so it doesn't confuse them) I only want FF/Chrome, an office program (WPS) and a SEPARATE folder for them to put their files in there easily. 

EDIT: Do i have to do the "quick set up" thing every time it restarts? i tried choosing save went through the prompts and the bigest size i could choose was 4GB. so is the other 35GB (roughly) not being used?.

Edited by Viper_Security, 29 November 2016 - 05:29 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi, Viper. Glad to hear you've got it running!

Okay; let's address your points in order.

-------------------------------------------------------

If you picked 6.0 rather than 6.05, you'll need to go through the upgrade procedure. The PPM will need updating anyway, too, so if you go to Menu-> Setup->Puppy Package Manager, wait for that to start up.

(BTW, you can also access the same Main Menu through right-clicking on the desktop.)

In the PPM, top-left corner, click the button that looks like a spanner and screwdriver crossed. I can't remember if the new-style PPM was installed through the the upgrades (I have a feeling it was) so your layout may be different to mine.....but basically, you want the tabs/buttons that say 'Update Databases'. Just follow the prompts.

Once you've done that, shut the PPM down. The next time you start the PPM, you'll be offered the Upgrade 'Service Pack'. It may want to go to 6.02 first, or it may take you straight to 6.05.....I don't remember exactly, it's nearly 2 years since I did this.....Tahr was my very first Pup that just worked, OOTB! Probably 6.05, since that's the current 'Service Pack' level.

Now, if you go into Menu->Setup, you'll find a new entry; 'Tahr Updates'. Click on this, and this'll bring you bang up to date with all the latest 'fixes' and patches. This can be checked periodically, although Phil Broughton, Tahr's developer, isn't spending so much time on Tahr these days; he's putting most of his efforts into the new XenialPup. Don't forget, most of these Pups are the work of one, or at most 2 or 3 individuals; there aren't the teams of paid employees like you've got at Canonical..!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The desktop 'Installer' button....aah, yes; I'd forgotten about that. Loooong time since I've had a 'standard' desktop..!  :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

JWM can be a wee bit confusing to those who've never used it before....but that and the ROX-Filer file manager make a very powerful combination, once you get the hang of them. If you'd like GKrellM (Bill Wilson's system monitor) on there, I've got a pet for that which works perfectly on Tahrpup:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kbb9dyl9o7xudd2/gkrellm-2.3.5.pet

Or, if you want something a wee bit simpler, there's Zigbert's pWidgets, which'll give you much of the same stuff, just in a simpler format:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601

Of course, that may be confusing the issue, so.....that's up to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'Quick-Setup' only needs to be gone through on the 'first-run'. Unless you're one of those who run entirely from the LiveCD/DVD multisession discs, then you do have to do that every time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum size of 4GB, huh? Sounds like you chose the 'save-file' option, rather than the 'save-folder'. The save-file is fixed in size, though you can make it larger if you need to (Menu->Utility->Resize personal storage file) Again, just follow the prompts.

The 'save-folder' expands to the size of the partition itself.

Actually, a 40? GB partition is way over the top for Pup; most folks use something like a 10 GB partition, then set-up the remainder of their disk for data storage. You can sym-link directories within this into /root.

1) Open a ROX window on /root. (The 'Files' icon on the desktop.)

2) Mount and open your data partition (you'll get a second ROX window). Click and hold the directory you want to sym-link, drag it to the /root window, then release. You'll get a wee box with four options; 'Copy', 'Move', 'Link (relative)', and 'Link (absolute)'. Click on this last one, and.....there's your sym-link.

If you dual-boot with Windows, format it to NTFS, so stuff can be read from both (though I guess you're just going with Puppy, yes?) Otherwise, go with ext3 (not 4). That's the recommended Pup format.

Hope some of that helps.....though you've probably figured some of this out for yourself by now!

Anything else, ask away.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 November 2016 - 06:44 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

Yeah the 40GB is the hdd size, yes total size haha. i will try that once i get back to it! (busy day at work) Thanks for the info, i will post back with the results!

hQBT2G3.png

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

The desktop 'Installer' button....aah, yes; I'd forgotten about that. Loooong time since I've had a 'standard' desktop..!   :P

My current Tahr desktop can be found here:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592994/show-us-your-linux-desktop/?p=4130087

A bit on the 'busy' side for some, perhaps?  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 November 2016 - 07:59 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

busy for some yes haha

hQBT2G3.png

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Glad to help. By all means, let us know how you get on with it all; I'll be interested to see the result...

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 November 2016 - 08:31 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:01 AM

Crikey, talk about the barriers are open and the horses are racing?

Friend Viper, I missed this one, sorry been busy.

It appears the dust has already settled with regard to this one, but should you be in a similar situation again, you & others may want to consider the following (not limited to just these few, I have more):

• Point Linux 3.2 'Agni' - I am using the 64-bit version, but there is 32-bit as well (see video below) - this is blindingly fast on my 8GB RAM PC in the Garage. Based on Debian 8 'Jessie'
  • Porteus you have already mentioned, I have tried every desktop flavour on a stick and been impressed, also it loads to RAM like Puppy, but when you visit the site as you likely know, you get to build your own custom Porteus and then download that iso
  • Peach OSI BB 32-bit (Bare Bones) runs very well on Elaine's Compaq-Presario using considerably less than its meagre 512MB RAM.
  • 4M Linux has a gorgeous canine as default wallpaper, loads to RAM, and has a Puppy-like feel to it re the icons

Anyway, here is the vid, and I will put this together soon, perhaps, as a Topic?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:45 AM

FWIW I would have installed one of the aformentioned distro's AND Puppy.  Lubuntu etc. (any of these low resource ditro's) will install to a very small Partition, the you can ADD Puppy to the mix.  I say this because you said it was a friend, and he may not be knowledgable with linux, therefore, using a mainstream distro MAY be easier to get along with than Puppy...IMO.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users