Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Suggestions for Office Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jjj32

jjj32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hi, everyone! I'm hoping to get some advice about which is the best office computer in my budget range of 1,000. This will be a Christmas gift for my father and I want to make an informed decision. A little about my dad:

- Strictly a PC user, doesn't have the patience to learn Mac OS

- Consistently leaves a million damn tabs open when web browsing

- Saves hundreds of files for his business, ie. estimates, invoices, etc. (Microsoft Office Suite)

- Strictly an office computer, no gaming or programming.

- This is important and I'm not sure if certain OS or specs make it easier - he has both an iPad and iPhone that he likes to sync automatically when he is not at his computer.

Overall, I'm just looking to get him something as "fast" as possible with a decent amount of storage, I think? I can spend somewhere in the realm of $1,000 but can go a few hundred over if it makes a big difference. I just want it to last him a few years and have no clue where to start.

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: $1000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? E-mail, heavy web-browsing, Microsoft Office Suite

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Applicaiton software - Microsoft Word & Excel, Chrome, Adobe for docs, iTunes

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? None

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? A few programs running at once, plus a million browsing tabs

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? No music, but many files (PDF & .docx) and pictures

Will you be overclocking? No because there's a 99% chance I'd corrupt the hard drive

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? I normally shop at Best Buy but I'm comfortable buying online if cheaper

How many monitors are you planning to use? 2

Do you need peripherals? OS? 2 monitors, everything else standard

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I don't want to hear about his slow computer anymore

Thank you so much for any input you can give!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

That is not slow. I regret I didn't spend even 600.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VwZZ9W

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Just in case you are not interested in building a computer yourself, I have referenced one that is getting excellent users' reviews. For what your Dad wants you can get him a good unit for well under $1000. This unit has two USB3 ports (several other USB2 ports), the USB and audio inputs are on top of the unit so he will not have to bend down to access (if it is on the floor). I would prefer a power supply of 500Watts of more, but this one provided will work.

This unit is not as powerful or fast a unit as DrillingMachine's unit above, but has more power than Dad will need for what he does.

Remember that these retail units come packed out the gills with junkware and trialware that must be removed so that it will run up to the proper speed (another advantage that DrillinMachine's unit has). If you need more information on this aspect post back and I will fill you in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230159&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 jjj32

jjj32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

Just in case you are not interested in building a computer yourself, I have referenced one that is getting excellent users' reviews. For what your Dad wants you can get him a good unit for well under $1000. This unit has two USB3 ports (several other USB2 ports), the USB and audio inputs are on top of the unit so he will not have to bend down to access (if it is on the floor). I would prefer a power supply of 500Watts of more, but this one provided will work.

This unit is not as powerful or fast a unit as DrillingMachine's unit above, but has more power than Dad will need for what he does.

Remember that these retail units come packed out the gills with junkware and trialware that must be removed so that it will run up to the proper speed (another advantage that DrillinMachine's unit has). If you need more information on this aspect post back and I will fill you in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230159&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

That is not slow. I regret I didn't spend even 600.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VwZZ9W

Thank you both so much! I should have stated it in my initial post that I'm looking to purchase from either a big box store or online from the manufacturer. (I'd love to build it myself but don't trust myself to gift it, haha).

Ranchand_, the computer you mentioned looks great. Do you know how CyberpowerPC's tech support is? I've only ever dealt with HP and Dell, but it seems that CyberpowerPC's are among the best customer rated desktops on BestBuy.com.

Another thing I forgot to mention - I'd love if it had an internal wireless card. He currently has a USB wifi adapter now and it's kind of a hassle

When I was in Best Buy two days ago, an associate mentioned this Lenovo for $899:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-300-20ish-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-120gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black/5620519.p?skuId=5620519

Specs:

Hard Drive Capacity: 1120 Gigabytes

Hard Drive Type: 1 TB SATA + 120 SSD

Operating System: Windows 10

Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Speed: 3.4 Gigahertz

Processor Model: Intel 6th generation Core i7

RAM: 16 gigabytes

Wireless networking: Wireless-AC

Number of HDMI Ports: 2

Number of USB Ports: 2 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0

Enclosure Type: Mini Tower

Do you think this is something worth looking into?

Again, thank you both for putting so much thought into this! I'm super grateful.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

Do you know how CyberpowerPC's tech support is?

No, I do not since I only build my own units. I haven't purchased a retail desktop in 20 years. I do not trust any tech support from Dell or HP especially based on users' comments, and am suspicious of any retailer's tech support. You will get far more help here than in the majority of retailers' support depts.

I'd love if it had an internal wireless card

There is no wireless NIC with this unit. Installing one is a piece of cake; if you don't want to do that, HERE is a TP-Link that plugs into one of your USB ports and installs in seconds from the CD provided. I am not sure what hassle you are talking about; I am currently using this one (my case is so stuffed with things I have no room for an internal) and forget its even plugged in most of the time.

mentioned this Lenovo for $899

The unit from Newegg, and the unit spec'd by Drilling Machine will equal or out-perform the Lenovo unit. Just remember....where-ever you purchase from my comment about junkware applies. That stuff has to be removed before the unit will perform properly.

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 December 2016 - 06:50 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users