Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locating Rootkits such as WebWatcher and removing their files & wiping hard driv

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beginner070915

Beginner070915

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hey, I'm newish with computers and I've been trying to learn more about how to navigate through a hidden files. So my question is how I am able to locate WebWatcher software and also if there was software that could prevent future downloads. One other thing that I was curious about was how I am able to wipe my hard drive, if I did this would I have to reinstall Windows 10?

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pugglerock

Pugglerock

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

The files are hidden for a reason and this is because the hidden files tend to be critical files so it's best to no mess about in them.

WebWatcher can be found with a simple google search. I don't know too much about Webwatcher however you may be able to block downloads through it? But please do not quote me on this as I don't know much about it. You will need to buy this software.

If you wipe your hard drive you will need to reinstall Windows 10. You don't really need to wipe your hard drive unless you have something truly nasty on it or (like me) you just like having a clean install time to time for whatever reason.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

Who installed the software?

WebWatcher is a legitimate program by Awareness Technologies which provides the ability to monitor computer and mobile devices. It was designed to help parents monitor their children’s online activity and employers to monitor their workers.

Awareness Technologies provides these removal instructions but the account password is required.

Username is the email you signed up with and the password is provided when signing up.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users