Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi connection drops out constantly, but every other device in the house works

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Le_

Le_

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hello,

My laptop consistently manages to drop its connection, despite every other device in the house managing to access websites just fine, my iPhone 6 for example.

My WiFi connector is Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter.

Sometimes as I connect to a website, this pops up:

"Your connection was interrupted
A network change was detected
ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED"

Or sometimes:

"There is no Internet connection
Try:
Checking network cables (these are fine since other devices work)
Reconnecting to WiFi (also fine since my laptop says I am connected and have Internet access even though I don't)
Running Windows Diagnostics (when I did this last time it just said "No problems detected" or something along those lines).

I am using Windows 10 and when I open the WiFi list, it says I am "Connected, secured" to my WiFi.

I have run Malwarebytes AntiMalware, CCleaner, Adware Cleaner, Malwarebytes JunkWare Removal Tool, MalwareBytes AntiRootkit and Avast Antivirus Free.

No viruses/trojans found.

Could someone help me to see if there is anything hidden or if its something else?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

Some people have had success by disabling, not uninstalling the LAN adapter in Device Manager. Windows 10 seems to have an issue when both the LAN and Wifi adapters are enabled. Also set our Wifi adapter to maximum power in the Power Options of Control Panel.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613939/wifi-randomly-dissconects-on-pc/?p=3999564

#3 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

Some people have had success by disabling, not uninstalling the LAN adapter in Device Manager. Windows 10 seems to have an issue when both the LAN and Wifi adapters are enabled. Also set our Wifi adapter to maximum power in the Power Options of Control Panel.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613939/wifi-randomly-dissconects-on-pc/?p=3999564

Hello,

The WiFi adapter was already set to maximum power.

When you talk about uninstalling the LAN adapter, under "Network adapters" there is no LAN but 8 WAN adapters instead. Are these the same thing?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

No, if your computer has a LAN port you should only see the LAN adapter. I am not sure why you would have 8 WAN adapters. Windows 10 has issues with some WIFI chipsets. What is the make and model of the computer?

#5 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

No, if your computer has a LAN port you should only see the LAN adapter. I am not sure why you would have 8 WAN adapters. Windows 10 has issues with some WIFI chipsets. What is the make and model of the computer?

Hello, there is no LAN port then.

It is a HP Laptop, would you like the full name?

Thanks.

#6 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

Here it is:  

Product Name: HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook

What other information would you like?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

I need a model number. There should be a tag on the bottom of the notebook with an alpha-numeric number.

See this list.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=pavillion+gaming&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

#8 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

I need a model number. There should be a tag on the bottom of the notebook with an alpha-numeric number.

See this list.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=pavillion+gaming&tool=s-002#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

That's strange, there is no tag on the underside. Is there any other way of finding it?

Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but I'm from the UK and not the US (linked website displays American products).

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

See this list.

Hello! I have located the Product Number: T9P65EA#ABU

Thank you in advance.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

From that part number I was able to determine the HP was a HP 15-ak110na. The HP support says the model was pre-installed with Windows 10 but there are no drivers listed for Windows 10 on the support site which is rather strange.

You may want to try uninstalling the driver then rebooting which would cause Windows to reinstall the driver. If Windows does not reinstall the drive then in Device Manager click the top most tree, your pc, and select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes.

You may want to look at getting a Wifi dongle that is compatible with Windows 10. From doing a google search this chipset Windows 10 seems to have issues with the chipset.

This is the latest driver from HP I could find for that chipset. I would create a restore point first if you decide to install it.

#12 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:09 PM

You may want to try uninstalling the driver then rebooting which would cause Windows to reinstall the driver. 

Hello, by "driver" are you referring to the WiFi adapter that we mentioned earlier?

From doing a google search this chipset Windows 10 seems to have issues with the chipset.

Is it possible for me to downgrade to a lower version of Windows (like 8) to cure this?

Also, is it possible for me to take the laptop to a professional to install a new WiFi adapter?

This is the latest driver from HP I could find for that chipset. I would create a restore point first if you decide to install it.

Okay, I would like to install it.

What program shall I use to create a restore point?

Thank you

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:03 PM

Hello, by "driver" are you referring to the WiFi adapter that we mentioned earlier?

Yes

Is it possible for me to downgrade to a lower version of Windows (like 8) to cure this?

Yes, but the problem may be hardware related. Also the computer would need to have been pre-installed with Windows 8 in order to downgrade for free and all your programs would need to be reinstalled.

Also, is it possible for me to take the laptop to a professional to install a new WiFi adapter?

Yes, but I would go with a USB dongle such as this. No professional needed. I would not try and remove the card. HP whitelists their Wifi adapters in BIOS so you have to purchase another verified by HP.

Restore Points are created within Windows. 

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-enable-create-system-restore/

#14 Le_

Le_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Yes

Hello,

I uninstalled and rebooted Windows--then scanned for hardware changes.

Yes, but the problem may be hardware related

In that case, it's probably not worth the cost if it is hardware related.

I have also create a restore point and downloaded the latest driver from HP--hopefully there is some remedy!

Also, what does a dongle do? Is it essentially an external adapter?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

Yes, it is an external Wifi adapter attached to the USB port for power. Are you saying your Wifi connection is now stable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users